[HELP] Beginner ask : How to mount mac formated USB external (WD) to FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

jos

Cadet
Dear all,
Forgive my english..

I'm totally new to Networking and FreeNAS but since I ran my own homeoffice (it's a recording studio) and cannot afford hiring IT expert, so I need to DIY everything myself.

I installed FreeNAS 8 on my old PC with 4GB Ram and have so many external WD and also non WD which mostly MAC formatted.

I'd like to hook em to FreeNAS so I can access 'em everywhere in my studio.

So, I test one WD to USB (on FreeNAS PC) and my monitor shows like this :

2011-07-19 18.45.13.jpg

Please ignore the smartd[1336] failure, I think it's from my other old IDE attached.

And I'm wondering how to mount it to FreeNAS?? because it's already have thousands files on it.

Thank you in advance.

ProtoSD

MVP
I think we need some more info. First I think 'ada0' is your flash drive, but that is strange it has a SMART error.

Are you using a 32 or 64 bit processor?

How are your drives currently formatted? HFS, HFS+, some other way? (Filesystem type)

You should be able to do 'fdisk /dev/da1' (without the quotes and see)

UPDATE: I'm afraid unless someone else has any ideas, that if you have hfs or hfs+ partitions there is no way to mount them with either FreeNAS or FreeBSD.

Anyone else have suggestions?

jos

Cadet
Hi protosd,
Thanks you for the reply.

I'm using :
Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6420 (4M Cache, 2.13 GHz, 1066 MHz FSB) here http://ark.intel.com/products/29755 said, it has 64bit instruction set specification.
4GB RAM
Not So Old Kingston USB Stick

HDISK will be mounted internally:
2 x 1TB Hitachi SATA

I have at least 5 External USB/FW/SATA HDISK, mostly WD (mybook) and I believe it's already formatted HFS+ from the factory. But also NTFS and FAT32 DIY external USB HDISK. But I think I'll focus on HFS+ WD disk first.

If FreeNAS can't mount them, any other NAS Soft can do?

Thanks

ProtoSD

MVP
jos,

You should be able to mount the NTFS and Fat32 drives (I'm not sure about WRITE support). Are you planning to copy the stuff from those external USB drives onto your NAS or are you just wanting to plug them in and share them from FreeNAS? If you're just wanting to plug them in and share them, FreeNAS doesn't work like that. You could copy the data off to the 2 1TB drives you want to mount internally, and then remove the disks from the external USB enclosure, format them, and add them internally to your NAS. As for you HFS+ disks, I would share them from your Mac on the network and copy the content to your NAS over the network, then format (UFS or ZFS) and mount them in your NAS if you have enough SATA ports. I would probably start by copying those HFS+ disks to your NAS first. If you did that, you could reformat those disks with another format that would allow you to connect them to your NAS with USB and read them.

jos

Cadet
Protosd,
Thank you so much for detail reply.
BTW, if I'd like to built also a media sharing centre with same NAS disk, can FreeNAS do that?
I mean play the media on itunes etc?
Thanks

ProtoSD

MVP
I believe that feature is planned for version 8.1, but you could just tell itunes to use a folder on your NAS as it's library and play your music on the computer itunes is installed on.

Status
Not open for further replies.