Correct way to mount/umount external USB

Status
Not open for further replies.

spm

Cadet
I run FreeNAS-8.3.0-RELEASE-x64 with a ZFS filesystem right now on a single drive but looking to expand this.

I want to backup parts of my data on an external USB drive. I have created a UFS filesystem on it, using the web-GUI to wipe the disc and create this UFS filesystem. Using the web-gui for this seems to have created a proper /etc/fstab entry.

Right now I simply do a "umount /path/to/mountpoint" in the shell, and then unplug the disc. When i want to reconnect it i simply plug it in and run "mount /path/to/mountpoint".

First time i did this I had a server crash. Second time it seems to have gone well but the yellow light in the gui keeps flashing and tells me status of my external drive is UNKNOWN.

Tldr; What is the correct (freenas) way to mount and connect an external USB drive?

nvader

Explorer
doesn't appear to be too active of a community here. mostly noobs and a few mods/vets who are probably annoyed at the same questions over and over.
I haven't received any reply to any of my questions either. not a complaint, just an observation.
I'm assuming once most people get this set up and running correctly they probably don't mess with it much and don't have a need to hang out on the forums.

With that said maybe give this a try
in a shell/ssh
mkdir /mnt/usbdrive1 (or whatever you want to call the mount point)
mount -t ufs /dev/da1s1 /mnt/usbdrive1
use camcontrol devlist to verify your device

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Your question is new and I don't have the answer. Normally I'd say you disconnect and auto-import from the GUI, but I'm not sure about your exact situation. Normally I'd tell you never use USB like you are about to. Too many chances for error with all of the extra cables and stuff. Lots of people have had permanent oopsies from unplugging cables on accident in the forums.

I don't think that unmount and remounting from the command line is how FreeNAS wants you to dismount/mount. My guess is the yellow light is because the GUI expected the drive to be mounted when you dismounted it from the command line.

nvader

Explorer
I'm one of those vets that IS annoyed by the same question over and over.

I am a vet in many other communities (android, pc hardware,x360, etc) and I get annoyed at people for doing the same thing. So i get it.. but i just don't say anything.
everybody is new at one time. and sometimes people don't have hours to search forums and read tons of posts, blogs and white papers. sometimes it's just easier to ask and hope for a quick answer.
I do however feel that being forced to learn something on your own is not a bad thing. But if you don't have the time, then you don't have the time.

ProtoSD

MVP
Its funny how when there's a new original question asked how willing people are to try and help. I don't think you allowed enough time for an answer, but part of the problem is that there really isn't a proper way to do this from the GUI. This actually sounds like a feature request.

I think during the boot process ZFS hasn't loaded yet and this is why it's hanging. I would try the same thing you're doing with a UFS formatted stick instead and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.