Beginner to the FreeNAS world!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, I'm a noob with building linux/unix servers. I have plenty of experience in building, troubleshooting and installing Window's based OS's onto computers.
I watched Eli the computer guy's episode on freenas #338 on youtube and he covered the basics on getting the server started. Now that I've done so, i would like to know how to make it secure, and be able to access my server in a remote location. Plus learn how to input and output info from my server(move all of my data from my external to my server like movies, music etc and be able to access them, move them between computers etc). I did download Filezilla last night due to what Eli was using for the FTP portion of it.
My projected goal is to build and put into production a simple file server that i can access internally and externally with a good amount of security applied to it. Could anyone show me some links to video's to watch and learn(i'm a hands on person, if i read it i don't learn anything but if i watch it and follow along with it then i can learn from it, visual type of learning)? Any suggestions and recommendations would be wonderful! Thanks!

joeschmuck

Old Man
Links to videos for FreeNAS? I think you have found some already. Google "freenas video" and I think you will find whatever is out there. I've seen a few videos out there but they have always been very basic and I don't know of any that are specifically security related. You should read the manual and read the forum here. I wouldn't say FreeNAS is a fortress but if you're careful you can have access to your data via SFTP both locally and remotely. You will need to setup port forwarding in your router to accomplish this. That's about all I can offer you. Do some more research on port forwarding, DDNS, and SFTP.

Thank you for the response, i will do some more research. I'm particularly looking for anything on 8.3.0. I've seen a lot of video's for 8.1.0 and 8.2.0 not a lot with 8.3.0. Any you would personally recommend?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Those videos as I said were basically installation and there is no real difference between the versions you listed with respect to installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.