Feedback Sought for FreeNAS Beginner System

Status
Not open for further replies.

wraith

Contributor
Hi All,

First time forum user & FreeNAS system builder. I've been perusing the forum and various guides around the 'net and feel it's about time I "jump in" and get started. I would really appreciate some feedback on my system specifications and configuration.

The primary purpose for the FreeNAS server is to replace/complement my existing, and aging, QNAP TS-410. Purchased in 2009, it's reaching it's capacity; both in terms of space and capabilities. I suspect it's limited ARM processor and 256Mb of memory is what causes me grief trying to stream HD movies.

The features I'm looking for the new system to support are:
* Streaming/transcoding of HD movies. At the moment only one stream/transcode is occurring at any time. However, as the family grows, I do envision a potential need [albeit rare] to stream/transcode two movies simultaneously;
* Stream music to various locations around the home and be able to access the music from the internet;
* Move all my and my wife's documents and access/edit them from the server. The primary purpose here is ensure documents are always backed up [hopefully making my life easier!];
* Run MySQL database to support a Document Management System [OpenKM] and Accounting Software [GnuCash]
* Perform regular backups to the QNAP TS-410
* Minimize power consumption

Considering the above, and looking around the 'net/forums, I'm considering the following components:
Motherboard: SuperMicro X10SL7-F
CPU: Pentium G3260 [3.3GHz]
RAM: 2 x Geil 8Gb Single DDR3 ECC C9 1333MHz
HDD: 8 x WD Red [max] - see, also, below
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 or R5 with 3no 120/140 fans
PSU: SeaSonic SSR-550RM
Boot: 16Gb USB

Most of the parts are available from my local PC shop; which is preferable, wherever practicable, to make any warranty claims easier.

The HDD configuration I'm considering is:
vdev1: 2 x 1Tb Red in stripe to maximize performance accessing and using documents from the server. These files will be regularly backed up to the QNAP TS-410. 2Tb is a huge overkill but 1 Tb is the smallest drive one can get these days. Other options I'm considering are:
* Two SSD's for vdev1; more pricey but better performance I'd imagine. I believe there are some longevity issues introduced by using SSD's in RAID [e.g. decreased life span due to regular disc access] - would the same issue apply for documents that may not be accessed too regularly?
* Using the drives in mirror for extra security [particularly for photos which cannot be retrieved once irrevocably lost] and still backing up to the TS-410.
vdev2: 6 x 3Tb Red in RaidZ2 for the remaining files [videos, movies, music etc.]

Would a combination of SSD and HDD [not in the same vdev] be an issue? I can't envision an issue but don't want to make any unnecessary assumptions.

I intend on initially only installing vdev1 to allow me time to get used to the system, backing up between systems etc. as well to save up for the next six drives for vdev2. After vdev2 is installed, I intend to upgrade the RAM to 32Gb.

Any feedback/advice/critique is welcome :)

Thanks in advance

Fuganater

Patron
You are good to have multiple vdevs with different SSH or HDD. As long as they are not in the same vdev you are ok. I've seen folks use SSD's for VM storage and/or Jails.

CaptainSensible

Dabbler
Looks good to me.

Id get rid of all SSDs. Storage is the goal.

wraith

Contributor
@Fuganater & @CaptainSensible - Appreciate your comments; gives some confidence I'm heading, generally, in the right direction
@anodos - Wasn't aware of the issue with repairing data on striped drives; will certainly look into it and take it into consideraton

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
RAM: 2 x Geil 8Gb Single DDR3 ECC C9 1333MHz
I'd seriously avoid el-cheapo RAM. Can't you find something from the QVL? Samsung, Hynix or Micron/Crucial?

wraith

Contributor
@Ericloewe : Thanks for your feedback. Wasn't aware that GeIL was cheap RAM; I'm actually not 100% sure which brands are quality and which aren't! I've seen similar conversations as this one where builders have mentioned GeIL RAM [amongst others] and no one seems to have battered an eye lid. I've seen the comments made about Kingston and plan to avoid as recommended. Either way, I've just checked the local Supplier's website and the GeIL 8Gb 1333 ECC RAM has disappeared. I'm interpreting from your comment that Micron is a subsidiary of Crucial, or vice versa. I have found one supplier on the East Coast that sells Crucial DDR3 ECC RAM. It is 1600MHz and I would need to upgrade my Pentium G3260 to an i3-4170. Not an issue if it's going to maintain stability of my system :)

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
@anodos - Wasn't aware of the issue with repairing data on striped drives; will certainly look into it and take it into consideraton
Take a step back and think about it. ZFS will checksum your blocks and tell you whether they've become corrupted, but it can't do anything about the corruption unless there's some sort of parity (or second copy) from which it can pull the original information.

wraith

Contributor
@anodos : Thanks for setting me straight on the RAID0. I've been mulling over it, today, and starting to develop a preference for vdev1 to be mirrored; but, at the time, it was more from a security/peace of mind perspective. Having 1 Tb useable is still way more than what I need.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

wraith

Contributor

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Your network will likely be the bottleneck to drive performance so stick with standard SATA drives in a sensible configuration if you value your data.

Check Crucials website for memory that's compatible with your motherboard. I'd be surprised if they didn't offer international shipping. If that's not viable get part numbers and source it locally.

wraith

Contributor
I've been able to find the Crucial memory [as recommended in @Ericloewe post] within Australia for quite a reasonable price :)

bmcclure937

Contributor
I am trying to get back into the FreeNAS game and replace my aging and quite antiquated system... running FreeNAS 0.7 and acting as my home media server. This box has been chugging along 24/7/365 for over 6 years and has been running SABnzbd, SickBeard, and Couch Potato for quite some time now.

Would you mind providing prices on your loadout here? I am trying to determine the best path forward. The iXsystems box looks really nice but is $999 barebones! I currently have the QNAP 451+ on order for $480 (diskless).

Do not know if I should move forward with the QNAP or pursue building another FreeNAS!

Fuganater

Patron
I am trying to get back into the FreeNAS game and replace my aging and quite antiquated system... running FreeNAS 0.7 and acting as my home media server. This box has been chugging along 24/7/365 for over 6 years and has been running SABnzbd, SickBeard, and Couch Potato for quite some time now.

Would you mind providing prices on your loadout here? I am trying to determine the best path forward. The iXsystems box looks really nice but is $999 barebones! I currently have the QNAP 451+ on order for $480 (diskless).

Do not know if I should move forward with the QNAP or pursue building another FreeNAS!
Can't do much with the 1GB RAM

bmcclure937

Contributor
Can't do much with the 1GB RAM
Very true - looking around and considering the Lenovo TS 140 since it is fairly cheap and supports Core i3, ECC RAM, and a few HDD slots.

danb35

Hall of Famer
If you need 4-6 drives, look at the TS140 or the Dell T20--I understand there's an aftermarket bracket available for the T20 that will add room for two 3.5 drives in the optical bay, bringing the total to 6. For up to 8 drives, the TS440 is an inexpensive option as well.

wraith

Contributor
@bmcclure937 : I could provide a price but not sure how relevant it would be to the USA [I'm based in Western Australia]. Let me know if you still want the price and I can provide it in AUS$. One of the reasons I'm moving from QNAP to FreeNAS is the static nature of the hardware in a QNAP box. The TS-410 served it's purpose to get me off the ground in setting up a home network; now it's time to try something more advanced and custom :) Plus, software support for the TS-410 ceases after the current version of the QNAP OS [v4.2] is complete.

bmcclure937

Contributor
If you need 4-6 drives, look at the TS140 or the Dell T20--I understand there's an aftermarket bracket available for the T20 that will add room for two 3.5 drives in the optical bay, bringing the total to 6. For up to 8 drives, the TS440 is an inexpensive option as well.

Thanks for the input. I am currently looking into the Lenovo TS140 and other similar options to see what would fit my budget and needs. This looks like the route I will take.

@bmcclure937 : I could provide a price but not sure how relevant it would be to the USA [I'm based in Western Australia]. Let me know if you still want the price and I can provide it in AUS$. One of the reasons I'm moving from QNAP to FreeNAS is the static nature of the hardware in a QNAP box. The TS-410 served it's purpose to get me off the ground in setting up a home network; now it's time to try something more advanced and custom :) Plus, software support for the TS-410 ceases after the current version of the QNAP OS [v4.2] is complete.

Thanks, no need to provide prices. I am going to choose the FreeNAS route again and go with a cheap option for 4-6 drives. Looking at a pre-built Lenovo TS140 with extra RAM or something similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.