Server Setup Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silly_ender

Cadet
Hey everyone, just looking for some help with finding the best Zpool setup for my need.

Here’s what I want to have when I’m done;
• A FreeNAS server that I can store file’s on and access over the network from my windows 7 Desktop and my XP Netbook.
• The max sized Zpool possible but with some device failure protection.

Here’s what I would like it to do as well;
• Be able to connect to it with my PS3 to stream movies & music off it.
• Be able to connect my stereo to it and stream music.
• To be able to use it on the open home network as a media server that everyone can watch things off but can't change anything.

I have the SATA & power port’s to have up to 18 HDD in it max.

So from what i understand the best Zpool setup for my need is to have all 18 HDD in the same Raidz2 Vdev. That way I get 32TB space and have protection from up to 2 HDD Failures.

Zpool 1 (32TB)
Vdev1 (Raidz2)
HDD1 (2TB)
etc.
HDD18 (2TB)

Is there any other setup that i would be better off using?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
sounds good. raidz2 is definely the way to go with such a large pool.

As for ps3 streaming you may need to run the ps3 media server for that, I haven't experimented with it but I assume it won't be too hard to get working as it is just a java program. Just run it in the freenas plugins jail.

I don't know how the stereo would work, freenas isn't really a frontend and you may need to hack around a bit to get music to output from it. I don't think you'll be able to use the sound output in the freenas plugins jail without changing some stuff...

If you want others to have streaming, readonly access just make a samba share with read only permissions for anonymous users. you can also make another share for yourself that prompts for a user+password.

paleoN

Wizard
Is there any other setup that i would be better off using?
Following the best practices, and not having foolishly wide vdevs, I would suggest 3 x vdevs of 6 x disks in raidz2.

Silly_ender

Cadet
Thanks for the advice Joshua.

Now that the Christmas/New Year rush is over i have started to put together the NAS. Everything has been going well till i got to the "Configure Volumes" part in the quick start guide. I decided to go with 3x pools of 6 disks in Raid-Z but i am unclear as to if i need to have all 18 HDD at the start with or if i can start with 1 pool of 6 and use it for storage now then later on add a second & third pool later on with out loosing any data.

I'm following this guide and i am up to this part for the volume config but it's got a little confused as it doesn’t use the terms Vdev or Zpool.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
You may want to review this thread.

You can start with a single vdev in RAIDZ or RAIDZ2 (5 disks is preferred for RAIDZ, 6 for RAIDZ2, as ZFS wants you to have a power-of-two number for more efficient parity calculation and updates, so that'd be 4 base disks plus 1 for RAIDZ or 2 for RAIDZ2 protection).

You can add a future vdev to the same pool, expanding the size of your existing pool, or use them for a new pool if you prefer.

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi Silly_ender,

Give raidz2 some serious thought.....much safer for your data.

-Will

paleoN

Wizard
Give raidz2 some serious thought.....much safer for your data.
+1. Plus, it's also an optimal/aligned raidz2 config.

You can start with 6 disks, pool, as long as you grow the array 6 disks, by adding a vdev, at a time. However, you are better off getting to your fully built configuration as early as possible. E.G., I wouldn't want to fill the initial first 6 disks much past 50%.

Silly_ender

Cadet
@jhreco
Thanks for the link it explained everything i needed to know about the different terms.

@survive
Thanks for the advice. I had a look at RaidZ2 a decided to go with it. Even though I’m not storing anything to important you can never be too safe.

@PaleoN
I have the first 6 HDD already so once I got it working I was planning on moving 4-5TB worth of stuff of my Desktops/laptops then adding another Vdev when I have some more (*Free) cash. But after I read you post I might wait till I can get the second Vdev before I start moving stuff over.

Just a few more questions:

I have made the first Vdev of 6 x2TB disks in RaidZ2 but the total size is only showing up as 7.1TB.
Is it normal to be missing 225GB per drive?

And

How do I add the second Vdev to the current ZPool?

paleoN

Wizard
@PaleoN
I have the first 6 HDD already so once I got it working I was planning on moving 4-5TB worth of stuff of my Desktops/laptops then adding another Vdev when I have some more (*Free) cash. But after I read you post I might wait till I can get the second Vdev before I start moving stuff over.
It's not the end of the world and it sounds like the data would be better off on the NAS. You can attempt to copy everything after you extend the pool to have, some of it at least, restriped across both vdevs. If you are unreasonably paranoid :p you can also backup the pool, destroy the pool, create new 2 X 6 x 2TB vdev pool and restore the data.

I have made the first Vdev of 6 x2TB disks in RaidZ2 but the total size is only showing up as 7.1TB
Given that they are actually 1.8TB disks, that's just about right.

Status
Not open for further replies.