A bit lost with regard to sharing setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

knubbze

Cadet
I have a HP Microserver with 4 x 2TB HDDs (which I intend to configure in RAIDZ2 format for a ~3.6TB zpool), and an external eSATA 4TB 'backup' drive (to which I intend to run nightly/weekly replications of said zpool). The machine will be deployed as a central NAS as part of a home network consisting of (mostly) Windows client machines.

The hardware and initial installation of FreeNAS was very straightforward, but I've now come a bit unstuck at the sharing configuration stage. My intended share setup was as follows:

• Read-only 'Music' and 'Video' folders, which are available to everyone on the network, WITHOUT requiring username/pass credentials (for ease of access with portable devices, media players etc)
  • Then a series of 'personal' directories for my documents, backups, etc. These directories would require authentication to access, but I would also like read/write access to the aforementioned Music and Video folders, so that I am able to add new content.

But is it possible to have both anonymous (for the Music/Video shares), and authenticated shares running at the same time? Because when configuring the CIFS service in the GUI, I am only able to choose EITHER 'Anonymous' OR 'Local User'. I can't figure out how to have both running simultaneously.

russnas

Contributor
what are you accessing it by?, you created two cifs shares under sharing, one for users and one for read only i tick export read only, allow guests and only allow guests, and you can access them both at once,i have create a folder called public and then put the media in there since you have to select a folder unless you want to create more shares, i have that option set in cifs to local users,

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Windows will only allow 1 username/password combo per connection to the server. So if you try to access \\freenas\personaldirectory and put in a username and password then try to access \\freenas\music(which is anonymous) it should work. But if you add in \\freenas\secondpersonaldirectory and want a different username and password than the first share, Windows won't let you. It's a Windows limitation and not a FreeNAS issue.

russnas

Contributor
I see so its a windows limitation, I had a read only anonymous mapped drive in my computer and I couldn't login to my other account till I removed it, windows kept saying one account per computer.thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.