Questions about 3gb/s vs 6 and general questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

theEmbark

Explorer
Hey guys,

I have been researching a NAS and have a couple of questions. I've seen a lot of supermicro systems on ebay available for $200-300 it seems the pitfall for most of these is 3gb/s backplanes. Finding an empty chassis looks to be $200-300 also if I started from scratch.

Before I get into the questions here is what I need my NAS for:
1) Backing up & storing data files (mostly for my recording studio)
2) These files will be loaded in real time and worked on in Logic Pro X
3) Access for 2 users at any given time
4) Large number of drives vs. large storage

My main question - can I get away buying a $200-300 Supermicro NAS off ebay 16 or 24 bays operating with normal gigabit ethernet. I just can't afford 10gbe unless there's a way to get a solution without spending $400-2000+ just on the gigabit gear. With normal gigabit I will see speeds 50-75mb/s from what I have read. Will a 3gb/s backplane suffice from regular gigabit? Or will I see a performance increase at 6gb/s with normal gigabit?

Also what type of drives do these 2.5" chassis hold? Just a laptop drive? I like the idea of more drives in less space but is there an advantage or disadvantage to this with the actual drives?

Thanks,
Kevin

theEmbark

Explorer
The only current generation device I'm aware of that can benefit from a 6Gb/s interface is an SSD.
Thank you! That is hugely helpful! There's quite a price difference between 3gb and 6gb and I am only running 7200 RPM drives.

Any reason to go 3.5" bays over 2.5" or vice versa? Silly question but figure I'd ask.

Thanks,
Kevin

maglin

Patron
SAS2 is more than adequate for most all home needs. 1Gbit NIC is usually also plenty fast. You should see speeds around 90-100 Mbs and except 10TB+ transfers is just fine. I moved 9 TB in about 28ish hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Any reason to go 3.5" bays over 2.5" or vice versa?
The most obvious reason to choose 3.5" bays is that the per-unit capacity is so much higher. For example, 2.5" NAS drives currently top out at 1TB [*], while 3.5" NAS drives go up to 8TB.

[*] there are 2.5" drives available up to 4TB, but they're not intended for NAS applications.

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
The issue with SAS1 backplanes compared to SAS2 or SAS3 is that there's some question whether the SAS1 backplanes will support drives larger than 2 TB. My understand has been that they simply don't, but I think I've seen some others here suggesting otherwise.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
SAS2 is more than adequate for most all home needs.
True, but remember SAS2 is 6Gbit/s. And most backplanes are multi channel (usually 4), so you have 4x6Gb/s.

As danb35 mentioned, the biggest issue with SAS1 (3Gb/s) is it's usually hardware limited to support up to 2TB drives.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The issue with SAS1 backplanes compared to SAS2 or SAS3 is that there's some question whether the SAS1 backplanes will support drives larger than 2 TB. My understand has been that they simply don't, but I think I've seen some others here suggesting otherwise.
The controllers definitely are, but I don't think anybody's actually tried an SAS2 controller with an SAS1 expander and lived to tell the tale.
So, let's assume SAS1 expanders are also limited to 2.2TB.

Status
Not open for further replies.