FreeNAS questions for new build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inxsible

Guru
Good lord rock and a hard place.
I don't understand why you are so confused/concerned. You have stated your use case and IMO, they are not too demanding. Question now is, are you going to transcode or simply stream the media? How many simultaneously? If you can answer those questions, the choices become easy.

I think you just want the most powerful system that you can have for your money. If you are willing to increase the budget you can get more. But I think you need to think from the other end. What hardware (at any price point) will satisfy your current needs and your new requirements for at least the next 4 to 5 years.

MadMan3353

Dabbler
Are you sure you are streaming or transcoding? There's a difference. I can stream videos to multiple devices (i have tried 3 without issues) simultaneously with my Pentium G3240. With a passmark of 3175, it will be able to transcode 1 stream too, but won't be able to do anything else at the same time.

I would assume it’s just streaming all of the files I have are from blu Ray Rips that I did when I converted my movie collection to digital.

Inxsible

Guru
I would assume it’s just streaming all of the files I have are from blu Ray Rips that I did when I converted my movie collection to digital.
Then all you need is a Pentium. Don't overthink it. If you want to save as much money as you can, you cannot expect to have the latest and the greatest hardware. Also, what's the point of having hardware that will run at 5-10% of it's capacity? Unless you plan to do a whole lot more in the next few years.
As long as the hardware meets your requirements for now and the next 5 years, you should stick with that.

MadMan3353

Dabbler
Then all you need is a Pentium. Don't overthink it. If you want to save as much money as you can, you cannot expect to have the latest and the greatest hardware. Also, what's the point of having hardware that will run at 5-10% of it's capacity? Unless you plan to do a whole lot more in the next few years.
As long as the hardware meets your requirements for now and the next 5 years, you should stick with that.

yeah i don't really need the latest and greatest. I am just looking for something that will last me a while and be able to handle new stuff. Right now i have 1080p movies to stream. i might up that to 4k in the near future(possible) some expand ability would be nice.

Inxsible

Guru
yeah i don't really need the latest and greatest. I am just looking for something that will last me a while and be able to handle new stuff. Right now i have 1080p movies to stream. i might up that to 4k in the near future(possible) some expand ability would be nice.
A Pentium will still be able to stream the 4K content. But, in my opinion, once you start collecting 4K content, you'd be looking to upgrade your HDDs (for space) before you'd need to upgrade your CPU (all other things being equal)

MadMan3353

Dabbler
Plex says you need approximately a passmark score of 2000 per transcoded 1080p stream. A Pentium G4600 (chosen mostly at random) has a passmark score of 5400, which should give you two transcoded streams plus plenty of room to handle system overhead. But I realize that's a Socket 1151 part, which means we're back to the DDR4 RAM. In Socket 1150, the highest speed I see is the G3470, with a passmark score of 3700--enough for one stream transcoded.

Does the G4600 support ECC memory

Inxsible

Guru

MadMan3353

Dabbler
so think i will go with this set up let me know what you think

Fractal Design Node 304 Black Aluminum/Steel Mini-ITX Small Form Factor Computer Case

ASRock C236 WSI Mini ITX Server Motherboard LGA 1151 Intel C236

Intel Pentium G4600 Kaby Lake Dual-Core 3.6 GHz LGA 1151 Desktop Processor

Crucial 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB) DDR4 2400 ECC UDIMM

Seagate IronWolf 3TB NAS Hard Drive 5900 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5(2 or 3)

SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze EVO Edition 520W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.91 SLI 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Inxsible

Guru
Fractal Design Node 304 Black Aluminum/Steel Mini-ITX Small Form Factor Computer Case
Good case. I use one. Cable management is a b!tch. See @Stux's post to see how great a job he did.
ASRock C236 WSI Mini ITX Server Motherboard LGA 1151 Intel C236
No IPMI -- I'd like to have one. But it's not a deal breaker. Supports only DDR4 -- which means costs will be high. This costs $210 on Newegg, so you already are at 42% of your budget and you still need to buy the CPU, RAM, case etc.
Intel Pentium G4600 Kaby Lake Dual-Core 3.6 GHz LGA 1151 Desktop Processor
Good choice based on board. It should suffice you
Crucial 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB) DDR4 2400 ECC UDIMM
DDR4 2400 is supported by G4600, but not by Xeon v5. So if you ever want to go to Xeons for more CPU power, you would need to get v6 version of Xeon E3-1200

MadMan3353

Dabbler
Good case. I use one. Cable management is a b!tch. See @Stux's post to see how great a job he did.

No IPMI -- I'd like to have one. But it's not a deal breaker. Supports only DDR4 -- which means costs will be high. This costs $210 on Newegg, so you already are at 42% of your budget and you still need to buy the CPU, RAM, case etc.
Good choice based on board. It should suffice you

DDR4 2400 is supported by G4600, but not by Xeon v5. So if you ever want to go to Xeons for more CPU power, you would need to get v6 version of Xeon E3-1200

what is IPMI?

danb35

Hall of Famer
@m0nkey_'s post, the first response to your question, recommended you read the hardware recommendations guide. Apparently you still haven't done this. I hate to be the guy who keeps saying "RTFM", but really, you need to do your homework.

MadMan3353

Dabbler
@m0nkey_'s post, the first response to your question, recommended you read the hardware recommendations guide. Apparently you still haven't done this. I hate to be the guy who keeps saying "RTFM", but really, you need to do your homework.

Sounds good

MadMan3353

Dabbler
So I found this board
ASRock E3C236D2I Mini ITX Server Motherboard LGA 1151 Intel C236 which has the IMPI feature after reading up on it I like the feature. Now the question is do I go with the pentium g4600 $78 or the i3 7300 $158 ? Not that much of a price difference and has higher passmark. I did find 16gb of ddr4 ECC for 200

Inxsible

Guru
So I found this board
ASRock E3C236D2I Mini ITX Server Motherboard LGA 1151 Intel C236 which has the IMPI feature after reading up on it I like the feature. Now the question is do I go with the pentium g4600 $78 or the i3 7300 $158 ? Not that much of a price difference and has higher passmark. I did find 16gb of ddr4 ECC for 200
So either way you will be out of your budget of $500 then.
The board is $240 + $200 for the RAM + $78 for G4600 and you are still above your $500 budget by $18 and you haven't even obtained the case, PSU, fans, install medium etc.. So why would you want to spend more on i3? You can spend more on a Xeon to get even more passmark etc etc.

It's your call. I was just working off of the initial budget you mentioned.

MadMan3353

Dabbler
The board is $240 + $200 for the RAM + $78 for G4600 and you are still above your $500 budget by $18 and you haven't even obtained the case, PSU, fans, install medium etc.. So why would you want to spend more on i3? You can spend more on a Xeon to get even more passmark etc etc.

That is true. I looked at a synology 4 bay and not including the drives it was over 500 I add drives in and it’s at 800. so my initial budget didn’t seem feasible right now will the board,ram,psu,2 hard drives, and pentium g4600 and case I’m sitting at around 700-750.

MadMan3353

Dabbler

Also the original budget post was
“I’m 500 for both around that range. I’m trying to keep my NAS build under 900”

Inxsible

Guru
That is true. I looked at a synology 4 bay and not including the drives it was over 500 I add drives in and it’s at 800. so my initial budget didn’t seem feasible right now will the board,ram,psu,2 hard drives, and pentium g4600 and case I’m sitting at around 700-750.
You can easily build a system under $500 without HDDs. But then you have to use older generation hardware which is the first thing I suggested. But you ended up choosing hardware that requires DDR4 RAM which is priced very high currently.
You gotta limit your searches to old hardware or pony up the price. No way around it

Status
Not open for further replies.