FreeNAS Android App

Status
Not open for further replies.

finsfree

Dabbler
I downloaded the Android FreeNAS app on my phone the other day. To be honest, I was kind of disappointed. There's not much you could do with it other then look to see how many HHD you have installed and to reboot the machine.

Compared to other NAS apps like the one made by QNAP. That app is has tons of options.

Will there be any updating of the FreeNAS app soon?

I know it free sh*t, but I wish the app had more options.

Thx,

Dent

Dabbler
I downloaded the Android FreeNAS app on my phone the other day. To be honest, I was kind of disappointed. There's not much you could do with it other then look to see how many HHD you have installed and to reboot the machine.

Compared to other NAS apps like the one made by QNAP. That app is has tons of options.

Will there be any updating of the FreeNAS app soon?

I know it free sh*t, but I wish the app had more options.

Thx,
What app are you talking about? I am far from any kind of a freenas expert but I do not believe there are any official apps for freenas. A couple independent apps I have seen made but in no way tied to the developers of freenas.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

finsfree

Dabbler
What app are you talking about? I am far from any kind of a freenas expert but I do not believe there are any official apps for freenas. A couple independent apps I have seen made but in no way tied to the developers of freenas.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Sorry as I look again, I realize it's just a NAS Manager app...generic...

scrappy

Patron
An app, or mobile version of the FreeNAS webGUI for FreeNAS would be handy, albeit not all that necessary unless a mobile device is the only interface to FreeNAS you have available.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
An app, or mobile version of the FreeNAS webGUI for FreeNAS would be handy, albeit not all that necessary unless a mobile device is the only interface to FreeNAS you have available.
What in God's name would we use a mobile app *for*, exactly?

tvsjr

Guru
Because it would be trendy and appeal to Millenials? Remember... you aren't cool if you don't have an app.

finsfree

Dabbler

I would use it to upload files like pictures to my FreeNAS Box at home like a personal cloud.

Without an App, I have to use a VPN then open a file manager then make the connection to the SMB share then upload the picture to my FreeNAS Box.

I just think an App would simplify this whole process.

I have 2 different NAS Boxes at home one is FreeNAS and the other is QNAP (and NO I'm not trying to sell anything here). The QNAP has like 4 different kinds of apps for their product (Qfile, Qmanager, Qsync, Qget, etc...). Each app does something different.

tvsjr

Guru
QNAP is, at least at that level, a consumer box. FreeNAS isn't - it's an enterprise class storage product that you happen to be able to get for free.

If you want to upload files, you should look at something like Nextcloud.

garm

Wizard
You don’t need a FreeNAS app to upload content. For that you install a server side app in a jail eg Nextcloud.
In no way do I want users having a highway to exploits to the management interface .. (!)

finsfree

Dabbler
Nextcloud sounds good but the site is down. I guess I'll try tomorrow.
upload_2018-3-14_11-43-35.png
upload_2018-3-14_11-43-35.png

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
Well nextcloud.com is working for me at the moment.

You'd have to install "nextcloud" in a FreeNAS jail, and then configure it. It's kind of moderately advanced, and may be difficult for some users to pull of.

Status
Not open for further replies.