Mobile App

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcusmarcus

Explorer
Mobile App or Mobile Interface

Would be nice to have a mobile app for Android and the other mobile OSs that we could use to view system info, reports, SMART info, console (Maybe even configure FreeNAS). have a default account on FreeNAS that goes for this app to restrict what the app has access to.
I tried accessing my FreeNAS 8.0 web interface with different Android browsers and they kept shifting the login off the screen before I could sign in. After updating to FreeNAS 8.0.1 Beta1 the login screen no longer shifts off the screen and I can login, but I can't scroll to see everything. A dedicated app would be nice for this.

Edit: I think dougoftheabaci's idea of a mobile web interface would probably be easier to implement than creating an app, that would be cool with me.

i use connectBot, it's a free ssh client for android.

i use stored keys so i don't have to type the password, and it lets you run a script after login. the script i have setup to run 'zpool status' then exit so it shows the status then disconnects.

marcusmarcus

Explorer
i use connectBot, it's a free ssh client for android.

i use stored keys so i don't have to type the password, and it lets you run a script after login. the script i have setup to run 'zpool status' then exit so it shows the status then disconnects.
Thanks, I'll try that, I have a ssh connection from my Android already, I was just thinking something a little more GUI and less CLI would be nice.

dougoftheabaci

Dabbler
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you should be able to connect to the NAS interface through any phone as long as you're on the wifi, right? What you really need is a mobile version of the interface (which wouldn't be extremely difficult).

If you wanted to connect to it away from your computer... Most smartphone OS's have a VPN app that you could probably get to access it with.

marcusmarcus

Explorer
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you should be able to connect to the NAS interface through any phone as long as you're on the wifi, right? What you really need is a mobile version of the interface (which wouldn't be extremely difficult).

If you wanted to connect to it away from your computer... Most smartphone OS's have a VPN app that you could probably get to access it with.
Mobile interface would be nice also, probably be a lot easier than making an app for all the different mobile platforms.

dougoftheabaci

Dabbler
Since the web interface does all the heavy-lifting already all you need is to use some CSS3 @media-queries. Like I said, not really that hard. I don't have my NAS built and set up yet so I can't really look too closely, but if no one else is keen to I could possibly take a look at it. It'll just be a while until I build my box, unless someone else has another way for me to handle the web interface.

The beauty of using CSS3 on an already functioning web interface is that you don't change any of the back-end stuff. Also, CSS3 is supported by every Android, iOS and WP7 (soon) phone. I mean, someone using Mobile Firefox and Mobile Opera might have a harder time but anyone with Chrome, Safari or IE9 on a mobile platform would be good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.