Freenas 8.0.4 Multimedia/Putty console/copy, rsync

Status
Not open for further replies.

lord.anonymous

Dabbler
Hi everybody!

I'm n00b with Freenas, I'm french so excuse my langage, very basic, it's a little difficult for me...

My system:
FreeNAS-8.0.4-RELEASE_MULTIMEDIA-p2-x86 (11405)
AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3600+
3058MB
OS Version FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE-p7

I mount an UFS volume (2TB), called DISK0. It's full now (80%)
Recently, I add a new disk (2TB) mount with ZFS, no RAIDZ for the moment, just for trying and understand.

With putty, I wanted to copy DISK0 on DISK1, so I use this command:
"cp -r DISK0/ DISK1"
For a few hours, it worked, but it stopped after, I don't know why, no message, no errors... Its incomplete.

After, I tried this command:
"rsync -v -P -p -r -t -c DISK0/ DISK1"
It worked for 2 hours and stopped. Dont' know why. It's incomplete.

What is the explication? I know that my configuration is "little" (RAM 4GB real, just 3GB on Freenas).

Thank you!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'm somewhat of a noob also, but how do you know it's not finishing successfully? Also is there any way to add more RAM. After the number of complaints regarding <4GB of RAM you're bound to get comments that you need to upgrade that first if you are serious about using FreeNAS.

As another note, have you tried running diagnostics on the hard drives? Could one of them be bad and that is what is causing the copying to stop?

lord.anonymous

Dabbler
I'm somewhat of a noob also, but how do you know it's not finishing successfully? Also is there any way to add more RAM. After the number of complaints regarding <4GB of RAM you're bound to get comments that you need to upgrade that first if you are serious about using FreeNAS.

As another note, have you tried running diagnostics on the hard drives? Could one of them be bad and that is what is causing the copying to stop?
Hi, and thank you for your interest!

First, I'm sure that's not finished because some directories are missing... I do it manually for complete, but it's not a real solution.
Second, I can upgrade RAM if necessary. I'll probably do it if it fails again.
Third, I tested my HDD with putty and the command "smartctl -a /dev/ada*" and there's no problems with the values.

I'm doing another copy at this moment (1,5TB) on a RAIDZ1 volume, and I'll inform you of the result.

Thanks!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
To be honest, even if it finishes I'd upgrade the RAM. It seems everyone that tries to use less RAM has nothing but problems and the problems don't scream "Give me more RAM".

With regards to SMART, SMART only monitors certain key parameters that manufacturers think will help predict a drive about to fail. In fact, different manufacturers monitor different parameters based on what they think will give you warning of an impending drive failure. Of all of the drives that I've had fail, only 1 gave a SMART warning before it failed(and that was in 2006). SMART should NOT be used as an indicator to how trustworthy the drive is, but should tell you how untrustworthy the drive is. If you don't have a SMART error it just means that the firmware doesn't consider it likely that the drive is bad, but it could in fact be bad. I've RMAed probably 20 drives in the last 10 years that haven't had a SMART failure despite the fact that the drive couldn't pass the diagnostics the manufacturer recommended.

lord.anonymous

Dabbler
To be honest, even if it finishes I'd upgrade the RAM. It seems everyone that tries to use less RAM has nothing but problems and the problems don't scream "Give me more RAM".

With regards to SMART, SMART only monitors certain key parameters that manufacturers think will help predict a drive about to fail. In fact, different manufacturers monitor different parameters based on what they think will give you warning of an impending drive failure. Of all of the drives that I've had fail, only 1 gave a SMART warning before it failed(and that was in 2006). SMART should NOT be used as an indicator to how trustworthy the drive is, but should tell you how untrustworthy the drive is. If you don't have a SMART error it just means that the firmware doesn't consider it likely that the drive is bad, but it could in fact be bad. I've RMAed probably 20 drives in the last 10 years that haven't had a SMART failure despite the fact that the drive couldn't pass the diagnostics the manufacturer recommended.

Today, I upgraded the RAM to 8GB. Same problem.
I use 32bit version of freenas 8.0.4, maybe 64bits should better?

Bever

Explorer

atrueresistance

Dabbler
No you will have to re-dd your usb image. You could back up your config file and re-upload after reinstall. Or you could cp the database and cp it back after install.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you upgrade above 4GB of RAM you must use the 64 bit version to use the extra RAM. Otherwise you're still using only 4GB.

Bever

Explorer
If you upgrade above 4GB of RAM you must use the 64 bit version to use the extra RAM. Otherwise you're still using only 4GB.

Unless you can use PAE in FreeNAS. Still, if your CPU supports x64 there is no reason not to use it.

lord.anonymous

Dabbler
It depends on whether your Sempron processor is one of the 64 bit versions. If it is, then use the x64 version of FreeNAS.

It seems the sempron I had don't support 64 bit...
I read there's a procedure to recompile kernel, but I didn't understand for the moment.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
PAE stands for Physical Address Extensions. PAE allows a 32-bit Operating System to allocate more than 4GB of RAM. OSes like Windows Server 2003 and other previous to the advent of 64 bit CPUs could use more than 4GB of RAM using PAE.

I just didn't think FreeNAS supported PAE.

lord.anonymous

Dabbler
I've installed a 64 bit version, with 8GB RAM.
I've changed parameters in loader.conf (vm.km_size_max=4G et vm.km_size=2G)

It works perfectly now!

Thanks everyone for help!

Status
Not open for further replies.