Problems with rsync permissions for FreeNAS to FreeNAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmolds

Cadet
For starters... here's the error I'm getting:

Code:
rsync: failed to modify permissions on...

I am using FreeNAS-8.0.4-RELEASE-x86 (10351) at both locations. I am writing simple scripts to handle the rsync'ing as well as logging and maintenance essentials that I require. The FN box that I call ONSITE is used for multiple backups a day of local network resources. The script mounts NFS shares, rsyncs, logs, and umounts shares. I run the written script as root using the build it cron manager in the GUI. I, of course, tested everything at the command prompt. It works perfectly.

On the FN box I call OFFSITE, I was manually pulling (via rsync) from the ONSITE server once a day. I tried unsuccessfully to get rsync tasks to work so started noodling into the same type of cron script call that is working so well with the ONSITE machine. Well since I am able to rsync pull from the root account on the OFFSITE machine I looked into automating SSH logins on FN. Since the root home directory is in memory I have not been able to get that to work (although perhaps it's possible?).

With that problem I moved to making other accounts. On the OFFSITE machine I made a 'backer' account who is a member of wheel. I created and assigned it's home directory to a /home/backer folder on my mounted RAID volume. I also made a similar account on the ONSITE machine. Once these guys were setup I ssh'd from OFFSITE to ONSITE and made an rsa key pair and did the normal dance to get this working. Bingo, no problems. I can now issue SSH commands from OFFSITE using the backer@ONSITE vernacular and it autologs, no problem.

Except the rsync that works fine when I command line from root@OFFSITE to root@ONSITE now has the above listed error. I feel pretty sure it has to be a permissions issue but the permissions on the files that exist at both locations are the same. So it must revolve around the user accounts I'm using? I really do NOT want to have to delete and recopy the whole chunk of data because it is a LOT and will take days.

Can anyone point me in the right direction... or alternatively explain how to get my OFFISTE machine's root account to be able to securely autolog into ONSITE via SSH since I know the rsync commands/script work from that account?

Thanks,
Olds

Status
Not open for further replies.