FreeNAS 11.1 missing kernel modules

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigloo

Explorer
Hi,

I tried upgrading FreeNAS 11.0-U4 to FreeNAS 11.1. The upgraded boot environment refused to boot, so I tried with a fresh installation, which also refused to boot. I finally replaced my boot USB stick and did another fresh installation - also refuses to boot.

It complains about missing kernel modules and then stops asking for the shell.

What can I do?

Attachments

• iKVM_capture.jpg
    iKVM_capture.jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 437

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
use this link:
https://download.freenas.org/stable/x64/

to download newest iso AND the iso.sha256

Then verify/validate the hash to be sure.

If you are still having issues, it may be that the file is pooched!
This has happened before, so then you need to upload a previous
boot environment to bring everything back to square one, then wait
for the Devs to correct the iso file.

tigloo

Explorer
Verified the checksum, the file has been downloaded correctly. I assume that many others have downloaded the same file - most likely there would already be more reports by now?

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast

tigloo

Explorer
As mentioned, did clean install on new USB boot stick to rule out any upgrade or USB stick issues.

Still fails with the same message, cannot load the kernel modules during boot and gets stuck.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Are you following the User Guide steps for installing FreeNAS?
I recommend going back to square one when this type of difficulty has been met and following a strict, step by step process.

If you don't wish to attempt any more installs, in order to receive further help,
you need to post your hardware so everyone can "see" what you are dealing with. The Forum Rules explain the need for this information or you can read my signature below.

tigloo

Explorer
Yes, I re-installed 3 times following the documentation to ensure that everything should be setup correctly.

My hardware is as following:
Case U-NAS NSC 800
SuperMicro X10SDV-4C-TLN2F (Xeon-D)
8x WD Red 3TB
32GB DDR4 RAM

tigloo

Explorer
Well, I figured it out myself.

The system had an unused SSD installed which I eventually wanted to use as ZIL but never activated.

FreeNAS choked on the SSD being there. Removing it from the system allowed FreeNAS to boot. Seems to be a bug though.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
FreeNAS didn't choke on your unused SSD, the BIOS boot order did.

tigloo

Explorer
The SSD was not part of the boot sequence. Also, FreeNAS was already booting from the system drive. How is this related to the BIOS boot order?

bw1faeh0

Dabbler
Well, I figured it out myself.

The system had an unused SSD installed which I eventually wanted to use as ZIL but never activated.

FreeNAS choked on the SSD being there. Removing it from the system allowed FreeNAS to boot. Seems to be a bug though.

I had a similar problem that I solved by removing my unused SSD, see this thread.

tigloo

Explorer
Thanks for the confirmation!

The system is running stable now for a couple of days, so I can confirm that this really was the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.