FreeNAS 11.1-U1 update failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Rushford

Dabbler
I recently updated to FreeNas 11.1-U1 via the UI and the update is a total failure. I can login but the no useable UI comes up. From the errors I see on the console, there appeared to be missing python files and many exceptions. So, I downloaded and updated my internal boot drive to freenas 11.1 after using a USB install stick. First I tried upgrading so that my config database was copied but, got this after trying to boot from my internal boot drive. "This is a NAS data disk and can not boot system. System halted." I've tried again using a fresh install, I get the same message. This internal boot drive is NOT a NAS data disk, I have four western digital 4TB drives that are data disks. The drive I've installed too is a 465GB laptop drive that I have installed internally. Any ideas on how to proceed?

help appreciated very much.

m0nkey_

MVP
Boot from your original drive and at the boot menu, select the previous environment. Once you're in, you can delete the 11.1-U1 environment and re-attempt the upgrade.

John Rushford

Dabbler
Boot from your original drive and at the boot menu, select the previous environment. Once you're in, you can delete the 11.1-U1 environment and re-attempt the upgrade.
Thanks but there were no previous boot environments available, I don't know why that was. Now I get the message above that it's seen as a NAS data disk.

Redcoat

MVP
I would interrupt the boot sequence when prompted to hit F11 and, on the presented option screen, ensure that the selected device is the laptop HDD to which you have installed the OS. I have found that this selection sometimes doesn't "stick" on my C27560D4I.

John Rushford

Dabbler
Gave that a try and selected the laptop drive. I still refuses to boot and says the drive is a NAS data drive.

Redcoat

MVP
OK, then, as you've already fresh reinstalled on that drive, I would try to get the system up with a fresh install on a USB key. If that works I'd wipe the laptopp HDD and try another install on it.

John Rushford

Dabbler
OK, then, as you've already fresh reinstalled on that drive, I would try to get the system up with a fresh install on a USB key. If that works I'd wipe the laptopp HDD and try another install on it.
Trying that now. I had to go and buy a usb hub as my C27560D4I only has two USB ports exposed on my install and I'm using one for the keyboard :) Anyway, I did install onto a 2nd USB stick and manually copied in my old config. Going to remove the laptop drive and put it in one of those external USB containers and reinstall that way and put it back on internally. If I remember correctly, I think thats what I did originally.

Good that I had a copy of my config. All looks good so far and my laptop automatically started Time Machine backups to my NAS.

John Rushford

Dabbler
Trying that now. I had to go and buy a usb hub as my C27560D4I only has two USB ports exposed on my install and I'm using one for the keyboard :) Anyway, I did install onto a 2nd USB stick and manually copied in my old config. Going to remove the laptop drive and put it in one of those external USB containers and reinstall that way and put it back on internally. If I remember correctly, I think thats what I did originally.

Good that I had a copy of my config. All looks good so far and my laptop automatically started Time Machine backups to my NAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.