SOLVED fresh install on SSD - 11.1.U1: "This is a FreeNAS datadisk and can not boot system. System halted."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicaba

Dabbler
After struggling with version 11.0.U2 (web GUI would not be visible from any browser any more), I decided to do a fresh install of the latest version ... 11.1.U1 in my case.
I installed the iso on an USB drive, so that I could install FreeNAS on an SSD.
The install went fine (first fresh install on a new boot environment, then overwriting it = gave same challenges as below).
I was asked to reboot and remove the USB, but after reboot I got the message: "This is a FreeNAS datadisk and can not boot system. System halted."
Checked in the BIOS and it does indeed boot from the SSD (there is nothing else to boot from) ... what happened? How to solve this?

Last edited by a moderator:

wblock

Documentation Engineer
We need to know what hardware you are using. In particular, what is the motherboard? Does it have UEFI? Which boot method did you select on install (preferably BIOS)?

Nicaba

Dabbler
ASRock Rack C2750D4I. It has a UEFI.
2 Seagate Disk barracuda 3TB and SSD Samsung 840EVO 256GB on which I want to install FreeNas.
2*8GB RAM Kingston DDR3 1600MHz ECC
I did select to boot on UEFI.
I am not sure if it has some importance but they are all 3 on SataIII with the 2 disks on ADA0 and 2 while the SSD is on ADA1.
To be noted that I did tried many things and at some points none of the disks/SSD were visible anymore so I restored the UEFI parameters.
Now the disks/SSD are visible, but it only wants to boot on 1 of the 2 storage disk!? SSD is not visible in the boot options!?!

Redcoat

MVP
I have this same mobo. Only way I have found to reliably select the boot device is to use F11 and pick the right device during the boot process. I could never "make sense" of the boot order display in the BIOS menu header selection and why devices would seem to have "random presence" in its listing, so I stopped agonizing over it and settled on the use of F11 as SOP. This same situation prevailed with the original version of the BIOS with the board and the most recent version shipped to me with a warranty replacement board.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I have this same mobo. Only way I have found to reliably select the boot device is to use F11 and pick the right device during the boot process. I could never "make sense" of the boot order display in the BIOS menu header selection and why devices would seem to have "random presence" in its listing, so I stopped agonizing over it and settled on the use of F11 as SOP. This same situation prevailed with the original version of the BIOS with the board and the most recent version shipped to me with a warranty replacement board.
Same goes for all BIOSes I've seen in the past four or so years (All of them AMI, across Supermicro, Asus and ASRock). I've had to completely clear all boot priorities lists of everything except the actual boot device(s), the boot device override feature doesn't work (and was actually removed by some revisions of some boards' firmware), there are several independent lists with no rhyme or reason for what goes where, plus a list for the order of the lists, plus a more flat list for UEFI that tends to have its own weird quirks...

Nicaba

Dabbler
back to square one.
Using F11 and chossing the SSD I got the message back: "This is a FreeNAS datadisk and can not boot system. System halted."
:(

wblock

Documentation Engineer
What that message is saying is that the disk chosen has a data boot block installed. This is only installed when a volume is created with that disk. If present, the installer overwrites it with actual boot code.

So I suggest identifying the devices by capacity when the installer lists them. The SSD is not necessarily da0 or even ada0. When it gives you a choice of boot type, choose BIOS. If necessary, UEFI systems can boot BIOS through CSM.

Nicaba

Dabbler
ok, then how to get rid of this data boot block?
I believe the installer is the cause of all this ... before the server was booting on the SSD with V11.0.U2.
The SSD has never been used for data storage ever.
Now, when I go in the BIOS it tells me the SSD is on ada1 while there is storage disks on ada0 and ada2 ... they are physically installed that way.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Whichever disk the system is actually trying to boot from has at some point been set up as a data disk. I suspect it's actually skipping booting from the SSD, possibly due to UEFI, err, features. This is why I suggest choosing a BIOS boot.

The installer writes boot code on the boot device. This also suggests the system is trying to boot from another disk.

Now, when I go in the BIOS it tells me the SSD is on ada1 while there is storage disks on ada0 and ada2 ... they are physically installed that way.
Those are FreeBSD device names, the BIOS does not know them. And the way devices are enumerated can mean that there is no obvious relation between what the motherboard thinks is disk "0" and ada0, for example.

Nicaba

Dabbler
Do you suggest me to redo the install but using a BIOS boot rather than a UEFI one?

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Yes. Actually, I suggested that yesterday. :)

Nicaba

Dabbler
It was not clear that's why I re-ask ... no I tried both options with same results ... I was actually advised by @Ericloewe to go through the UEFI bios ... so I am confused!
What can I try next? To remove all storage disks?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well, UEFI isn't working out too well for you. What's most important is that you know what you want to do and set up the BIOS to do that and only that. So try using CSM (legacy BIOS boot).

Nicaba

Dabbler
As I said I tried both but it comes back to the same message ... what shall I try now? Physically remove the storage disk before installing?
Why is this happening?
Any possible bug in the installer?

Nicaba

Dabbler
I did unplug the 2 datadisk and rebooted (no install) ... it started!?!
The SSD is on the 2nd slot while a datadisc was on the first and the other on the 3rd.
I believe the server is confused as per where to boot and start on a datadisc (slot 1?+) rather than on the SSD even if I specifically chose this disc to boot from!?!
I 'll try to re-plug the 2 datadisc on their same slot and see if it helps ... if not I'll try to change the slot and put the SSD on slot 1.

Nicaba

Dabbler
... I had to change the order of the physical connection in order to get the SSD first in the list ... then it started.
But I am back to my original problem which was a network issue!?
Can I continue here to get further help or should I open a new thread?

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Always start a new thread for new topics. People who can help look at the thread titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.