FreeNAS 11.1 U4 Install Fails With Bus Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deep_Snow

Cadet
Hello everyone,
thanks for taking the time to read this thread.

I've been running FreeNAS 11.1 on my DELL PowerEdge T30 for a few months and never had any issues. However yesterday I couldn't log into the webGUI anymore so I tried rebooting the computer. After restarting it wouldn't boot and kept looping into the boot environment selection page. After a few tries I decided to try a fresh install of FreeNAS.

The system is a DELL PowerEdge T30 with:
- XEON E3-1225 V5
- 3 x 8 GB of ECC RAM
- 4 x 4 TB SEAGATE IRONWOLF
- LEXAR 32GB JUMPDRIVE S45

I downloaded the new install for 11.1 U4 and wrote it on the install USB stick with Rufus (in DD mode) and went through the install process.
After selecting the USB stick to install the OS, I insert the password and after a few seconds I get a message such as:

Code:
<pid 270 (dialog), uid 0: exited on signal 10
Bus error
The FreeNAS installation on da1 has failed. Press enter to continue..

I've tried changing the install USB stick, using Win32DiskImager, the boot USB stick, downloading the install file again and preparing the media stick from another computer. Tried also Boot via UEFI and Boot via BIOS. Taking out RAM sticks, changing the HDDs.
The install fails every single time. The number after pid can change and also the part in parenthesys, but every time it says "Bus error". Other times I get a message saying that the disk size is too small to install FreeNAS, although I even tried with 64GB sticks.

Is there anything else left to try to solve this issue?
Thanks for your help!

ReadyNAS2018

Dabbler
Are you sure you've only got 3 x 8GB? Normally you should install memory in pairs, so you should have either 2 x or 4x

That could be your problem.

Deep_Snow

Cadet
Yeah I had bought 2x8GB Sticks of ECC RAM since the T30 came with only 1x8GB and was planning on using only the 2x sticks. However after giving the 3x a try and noticing that was working fine I kept all 3 of them.

Anyway trying with just the 2 x 8GB doesn't solve the problem. I still keep getting messages like
Code:
pid 148 (gpart), uid 0: exited on signal 10
Bus error
The FreeNAS installation on da0 has failed. Press enter to continue..

ReadyNAS2018

Dabbler
Yeah I had bought 2x8GB Sticks of ECC RAM since the T30 came with only 1x8GB and was planning on using only the 2x sticks. However after giving the 3x a try and noticing that was working fine I kept all 3 of them.

Anyway trying with just the 2 x 8GB doesn't solve the problem. I still keep getting messages like
Code:
pid 148 (gpart), uid 0: exited on signal 10
Bus error
The FreeNAS installation on da0 has failed. Press enter to continue..

This is why I don't tend to install FreeNAS onto USB sticks, because you do tend to get more issues with installing and the USB sticks themselves don't last very long. If you can use an old hard disk as it's much better than trying to use two USB sticks to get going.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
How many USB sticks are we talking about here?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Deep_Snow

Cadet
How many USB sticks are we talking about here?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
2 USB sticks. One with the install media and one to install the OS. I've tried different combinations of models and sizes of USB sticks but it made no difference.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

ReadyNAS2018

Dabbler
2 USB sticks. One with the install media and one to install the OS. I've tried different combinations of models and sizes of USB sticks but it made no difference.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

As I've said, it's better to use either a HDD or an SSD to install the OS onto

Note: It might be better also to remove all other HDD's while running the install

Last edited:

Deep_Snow

Cadet
After a long time I managed to solve the issue with my FreeNAS build, so in case someone finds himself stuck in the same situation I'd like to share my findings.

After realising that the issue came up with any OS I tried to install on the system I figured out that the problem was either the CPU or the MOBO. So the cheaper option was to buy a used Pentium G4400 and replace the Xeon that comes in the system and it worked straight away.

Out of curiosity I tried switching the Xeon back in again and the system started not booting again.
I then tried disabling all the cores and then turning them back on until the boot failed again. Disabling one core seems to be solving the issue though and the NAS is running at the moment with only 3 cores enabled which I guess is always one core more than the G4400.

Thanks again for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.