Forum / Place for TrueNAS Suggestions?

2twisty

Contributor
I know that this subforum is for suggestions for the forum itself...

But is there a place to make suggestions for changes or new features for TrueNAS itself?

I've got several ideas / peeves that I'd like to discuss, but I can't find the right place to do it.

Davvo

MVP
But is there a place to make suggestions for changes or new features for TrueNAS itself?

The bug reporting platform covers that function as well, while if you want to discuss things you just need to open a thread on this forum in the relevant section.

2twisty

Contributor
OK, that makes sense.... now for a quick followup:

Most of my suggestions / peeves are related to the GUI, and I don't see a forum section that is specifically for that. Since I am running (and suggesting for SCALE -- but these would be nice in CORE also), what subsection should I use?

The bug reporting platform covers that function as well
I second that.

if you want to discuss things you just need to open a thread on this forum in the relevant section.
Which will probably end up with a feature request on the Bug Tracker anyways. :tongue:

The other option is to DM @Davvo with your feature requests. If he doesn't give a sufficient response within 30 minutes, keep messaging him until he acknowledges your request.

Most of my suggestions / peeves are related to the GUI, and I don't see a forum section that is specifically for that. Since I am running (and suggesting for SCALE -- but these would be nice in CORE also), what subsection should I use?
That would be best served as a Feature Request / Suggestion on the Bug Tracker.

If you still want to start a discussion about the improvement to the GUI (and get some feedback in here), then I'd suggest the SCALE forum over the Core one, simply because it's unlikely that Core will receive any changes to the GUI anytime soon (unless it's a critical bug.)

Davvo

MVP
Imho you should write in the section of the OS you are running; besides, SCALE is way more open to new features than CORE so you are likely to have better chance there.

The other option is to DM @Davvo with your feature requests. If he doesn't give a sufficient response within 30 minutes, keep messaging him until he acknowledges your request.
Please don't trust such winnie, he's dangerous: he still uses FreeNAS terminology.

2twisty

Contributor
OK. I was wanting to open a discussion to gauge what others think about them and because they might have modifications to the idea that would make it better or more likely to be implemented. I don't want to waste the devs time reading feature requests that the community thinks are stupid.

2twisty

Contributor
Imho you should write in the section of the OS you are running; besides, SCALE is way more open to new features than CORE so you are likely to have better chance there.

That's precisely my question. I can't identify which section is appropriate for discussion of GUI-related things. They all seem to be more "under the hood." I'm talking about features like requesting an additional "report" type (like overall pool performance like you see in disks) or to ask that my selections of which disks and which metrics be persistent, etc.

Davvo

MVP
That's precisely my question. I can't identify which section is appropriate for discussion of GUI-related things.
If in doubt, post here (regarding scale).

2twisty

Contributor
Yeah, I thought about that, but was afraid the posts could get lost in the noise of general topics about SCALE.

2twisty

Contributor
Lol, so maybe this IS turning into a Forum Suggestion post!

Maybe we need a "GUI" section or a "New Feature Ideas" section?

Davvo

MVP
Maybe we need a "GUI" section or a "New Feature Ideas" section?
I don't think so.

Yeah, I thought about that, but was afraid the posts could get lost in the noise of general topics about SCALE.
You can bump after... quickly looks at the forum rules 48 hrs. If it gets no interest, it may just mean that the community isn't interested into your suggestion.