Forum for posting deals you find on hardware?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
Is this something that would be interesting to some of you? Sharing good deals on hard drives, motherboards, memory, etc when we find them with the rest of the community? Let us know what you think.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Is this something that would be interesting to some of you? Sharing good deals on hard drives, motherboards, memory, etc when we find them with the rest of the community? Let us know what you think.
I like the idea.

m0nkey_

MVP
The problem with this is that most deals are country specific. Somebody might find a great deal on WD RED drives, but the deal happens to be in Australia and whoever wants to buy is in America. Would need a way to identify which country the deal is applicable to and a way to filter them to specific countries.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Geography is a stumbling blocks that occurs to me... People in Europe won't get much benefit from deals on eBay or Amazon that are only available in the USA, and vice versa. Perhaps we could have subforums for North America, Europe, the Far East, etc.?

EDIT: Ah, I see @m0nkey_ already posted about this while I was typing!

For new hardware or fleeting eBay listings, I don't see much value especially when the international audience is considered. Prices change so quickly yet threads stick around forever. It could just lead to clutter and broken links.

There are times when I do think pointing out a value is a great help and that's pre-built or known-good configurations that are readily available. The Dell C2100 Ode is a great example. If there were other commonly available systems known to work really well with FreeNAS, I'd call them out, too.

The hardware guide would be a great place to hotlink items for easily ordering. In the same way it's really easy to point to the C2100 and say 'just buy this', it would be nice to say 'basic quiet home system with up to six drives for Plex, just by this' or 'basic office file server with room for 12 drives, get this'.

Cheers,
Matt

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The hardware guide would be a great place to hotlink items for easily ordering. In the same way it's really easy to point to the C2100 and say 'just buy this', it would be nice to say 'basic quiet home system with up to six drives for Plex, just by this' or 'basic office file server with room for 12 drives, get this'.
I'd be happy to curate such a list (not at the moment, but starting mid-february), but I'd need a couple of volunteers to handle at least the pre-built stuff, which I am not at all familiar with. In fact, we have something similar already, though it is somewhat underdeveloped.

Any volunteers, just PM me to coordinate work.

Status
Not open for further replies.