Hard Drive Deals for Black Friday and Cyber Monday (and related events)

Status
Not open for further replies.

djdwosk97

Patron
While HGST is not my #1 name choice, it does have the 3 year warranty.
Not to go off topic, but any particular reason why? I might be buying a couple drives this weekend, and while I have a bias towards Reds (as I own Reds), I was considering HGST alternatives due to price.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Not to go off topic, but any particular reason why? I might be buying a couple drives this weekend, and while I have a bias towards Reds (as I own Reds), I was considering HGST alternatives due to price.
Check out this thread that I started discussing my HGST drives. This is my only bias against them at the moment. I've seen on this forum that they are good drives which is why I bit the bullet and purchased them and I hope my testing all goes well. The good thing is they have a 3 year warranty and if they last that long, odds are good they will last to the 4 year point or longer.

farmerpling2

Patron
Here is another one...

Combo: (2x) HGST DeskStar NAS 3.5" 4TB 7200 RPM 128MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s High-Performance Hard Drive, Retail Packaging 0S04005
Limit 1 per customer.

2 drives for $199.98
combo1.jpg

joeschmuck

Old Man
It's been unfortunate this year because this sales week did not produce any great deals on most of the electronics are are interested in. I hope anyone who was looking for a great deal did find it.

chris crude

Patron
It's been unfortunate this year because this sales week did not produce any great deals on most of the electronics are are interested in. I hope anyone who was looking for a great deal did find it.
I was able to purchase a Fractal R5 case for $30 off, i used the savings to purchase 2 Noctua 140mm case fans.
I originally pieced together a FreeNAS from spare parts, and when i upgraded all the hardware last year i shouldve just gotten the case then but i did not. Although the cold basement where this resides prevents my drives from getting too warm, i wanted a proper case with proper airflow so i figured it was an early Christmas present to myself.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I was able to purchase a Fractal R5 case for $30 off, i used the savings to purchase 2 Noctua 140mm case fans.
I originally pieced together a FreeNAS from spare parts, and when i upgraded all the hardware last year i shouldve just gotten the case then but i did not. Although the cold basement where this resides prevents my drives from getting too warm, i wanted a proper case with proper airflow so i figured it was an early Christmas present to myself.
The cool basement is the right location for me too, it makes a big difference in the summer time. And it's good that you could find savings on something you actually wanted to buy vice just coming across a deal that interested you. A good quality case should last you a very long time.

Linkman

Patron
Not for FreeNAS but I did pick up two 3TB WD Reds for the lowest price I've seen in at least two years, about what I paid back then, for another server; and a good Cyber Monday deal on a big Dell UltraSharp monitor for my desktop.

joeschmuck

Old Man
As a heads up, if you purchase the HGST drives you might consider setting APM to level 192 or 254 to prevent the heads unloading and spinning down of the hard drive.

Also my HGST drives came well packaged in a retail box as seen above and two sets of screws for different mounting setups.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Yeah saw that one earlier while I was waiting for a movie time. If I had it right now I would pull the trigger on a few then I could send some 4TB's to my step daughter for her FreeNAS.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Yep, built three now. One for myself, one for my father and one for my step daughter. Probably end up with one going down to my wife's family in Jamaica at some point.

farmerpling2

Patron
itemB.jpg

This is a very good deal for 8GB... These are usually in price range of $220 each.

PROMO CODE: EMCPSSE35

Status
Not open for further replies.