Hard Drive Deals for Black Friday and Cyber Monday (and related events)

Status
Not open for further replies.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Newegg has HTST NAS 4 TB disks for $99.99 each when you buy four, today only. Looks like that saves $20 ea. Looks like a good deal for anyone who needs to buy or expand some storage.

No affiliation, etc.

Appreciate if anyone sees deals on the WD Gold 4 TB, though--I'm looking to pick up a pair of them for a different project. Edit: I'm seeing these for $167 right now, at both Amazon and Newegg. If anyone knows (or hears) of a decent discount from a reputable seller, I'm all ears.

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
@danb35 Thanks for creating a posting like this, I was just resoponding to @farmerpling2 abouit something like this. Would you mind if we change the title to something like "Hard Drive Deals for Black Friday and Cyber Monday".

farmerpling2

Patron
Here is a pointer to the spreadsheet you can use to see if a disk is a good price or not.

Disk Price Performance Analysis Spreadsheet

FWIW: It is not unusual for retail sites to say hear is the latest great price, does not mean it is a good price. It may be the same price as a week or two ago.

I see this occur quite often.

farmerpling2

Patron
This expires in 3 hours or so. I cannot be sure it will work as they say it is a special only for me... Give it a try...

Newegg

Promo code: EMCBBBH24

HGST Deskstar NAS 3.5" 8TB 7200 RPM 128MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s High-Performance Hard Drive for Desktop NAS Systems Retail Packaging 0S04012

Extra savings w/ promo code EMCBBBH24, ends 11/19

itemC.jpg

Last edited:

farmerpling2

Patron
For newegg.com, make sure you sign up for their app. They will sometimes come out with specials only for mobile devices. I have seen an extra 5% off, etc.

joeschmuck

Old Man

joeschmuck

Old Man
Here is the 6TB under $160.00!!

Promo code EMCBBCB27

itemG.jpg
Just placed my order! While HGST is not my #1 name choice, it does have the 3 year warranty.

If anyone finds a code for a GTX 1080 for about 300 bucks hit me up with that one. Going to try and get my miner completed before I do any more NAS stuff, two down four more to go...

farmerpling2

Patron
If anyone finds a code for a GTX 1080 for about 300 bucks hit me up with that one. Going to try and get my miner completed before I do any more NAS stuff, two down four more to go...

Closest price in current newegg sale...

ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX-GTX1080-A8G-GAMING 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5X PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready Video Card

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...topGraphicsCards-_-14126116-S1A1A&ignorebbr=1

danb35

Hall of Famer

joeschmuck

Old Man
So far today (Friday) I have not seen any better deals than what has been going on this entire week. We can look forward to Cyber Monday and hope there are a few more deals out there.

Nothing for the Gold 4 TB, sadly--in fact, they're $6 more than when I looked on Monday.
The lowest price I've seen today for a Gold is $174 delivered. Not sure if you are set in stone on running the WD Gold but the WD Red Pro appears to be basically the same thing without the He, but the specs are virtually identical except for the MTBF, but with a 5 year warranty, does it matter? They also seem to be the same price at most places. And I don't want to debate Gold vs. Red Pro here in this thread, I just wanted to state that they seem to have similar traits and it may be an option for you to consider, if you haven't already done so.

With that said, NewEgg has the WD Red Pro 4TB drive on sale with the Promo Code "EMCFBBCD84" for $160 delivered. It's not a great promo code but even the $5 helps. This deal expires Sunday.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Not sure if you are set in stone on running the WD Gold but the WD Red Pro appears to be basically the same thing without the He,
Maybe I'm buying too much into WD's marketing. The intended use of the drives isn't really a NAS, so I hadn't given a whole lot of thought to the Reds. Still going to be a server, though.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Maybe I'm buying too much into WD's marketing.
Oh, didn't you hear that it's all the same drive just with a different label slapped on it. ;) Sometimes I think this is mostly true, just a slight firmware tweak between them.

danb35

Hall of Famer
That could be the case, really. In any event, I don't have an immediate need, though I expect I'd use them within the next month or two. But if there were a good deal going today (or Monday), I'd jump on it.

farmerpling2

Patron
The lowest price I've seen today for a Gold is $174 delivered.

With that said, NewEgg has the WD Red Pro 4TB drive on sale with the Promo Code "EMCFBBCD84" for $160 delivered. It's not a great promo code but even the $5 helps. This deal expires Sunday.

Would you be willing to pay for an extended warrant for $14 for 2 more years? Failures like to happen early in the drives life and later...

Gold uses $0.02 less electricity a year then Red Pro! :D
Gold is 1Mb slower in xfer rate than Red Pro!

I would go Gold at that price difference just not hopefully not to have to replace a drive or if I had to it would hopefully still be under warranty.o_O

farmerpling2

Patron
Maybe I'm buying too much into WD's marketing. The intended use of the drives isn't really a NAS, so I hadn't given a whole lot of thought to the Reds. Still going to be a server, though.

Most any enterprise drive is good stuff. Toshiba would be one I would not buy - but that is just me.

I like HGST, but own many different brands. HGST or WD for serious RAID. Other brands for RAID1 desktop machines.

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
Would you be willing to pay for an extended warrant for $14 for 2 more years?
Both the Gold and Red Pro are 5 year warrantys so the Red Pro is slightly cheaper.

But Cyber Monday will be here in 2 days, lets see what shows up in the emails.

Status
Not open for further replies.