Folder disappeared.

blueI5land

Dabbler
Hi All,

I have two pools. Both shared with a windows machine that i Finally got that up and running.

One is a 4 disk pool the other is a 2 disk pool.

To make a really long story short I set up true Nas about a year ago and everything was running fine. Then I moved the machine to an office environment where I am using a different client to access and interface with the nas. Had some difficulty getting things back set up with the share however we're back up and running.

Now here's where the story gets strange. ...

I named my pools after the manufacturer name of the discs. So one is called levershare and one is called monstershare.
I was stupid enough to name a folder in levershare "nas".... And a folder in monstershare "NAS". However when I finally got access to the files both were present and I had access to both. However in the monster share I had a folder that I could not access. That particular folder is relatively important and I need access to it.

When I first gained access to the nas after some troubleshooting that folder existed on the machine. I'm not 100% sure if I could actually access that folder however it did show up at least.....And I also see it in true Nas so I know the file exists. However when I look in my file explorer under the share other folders are there but that one is not. It is as if it has disappeared.

So because I am a genius I immediately went into true Nas pools and tried to strip all ACL permissions and see if it was something not allowing me to actually see that folder......I deleted the ACL and tried to reset all the ACL permissions.

Currently, I haven't been to the office in a couple of days so I can't give you screenshots but I plan to because I have to figure this out. However tomorrow I will continue this thread with more detail and hopefully some of you kind souls can lead me in the right direction.

blueI5land

Dabbler
I will also add that I am planning to eliminate the two disc pool once I transfer the files to the 4 disk pool. I don't really need that pool, And I need the SSD discs I'm using in other machines.

Davvo

MVP
Sounds like ACL issue to me as well.
The pools are different so the similar name shouldn't be an issue.

blueI5land

Dabbler
Ok, I have confirmation.

Here is a screenshot of my pools.

In my file explorer, under the monster share, i can see iocage, but not the NAS folder.
20220729_102417.jpg

blueI5land

Dabbler
I've just tried to strip the ACL permissions again and reset them and I still can't see the folder.... What am I doing wrong?

Davvo

MVP
You did set up 2 samba shares, right?
If that's the case, show your ACL config.

blueI5land

Dabbler
Here are the screenshots.

20220729_105803.jpg

And the following is when I click edit share ACL on the monsterashare

20220729_105818.jpg

And this is when I click edit:
20220729_110106.jpg

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You should never share the top level pool. Create shares for each dataset that you need to access via SMB. And never share the iocage dataset and below via SMB - you are going to destroy your jails if you mess with ACLs and manipulate things from Windows.

blueI5land

Dabbler
You should never share the top level pool. Create shares for each dataset that you need to access via SMB. And never share the iocage dataset and below via SMB - you are going to destroy your jails if you mess with ACLs and manipulate things from Windows.
Okay, understood. How can I fix this?

blueI5land

Dabbler
So I'm configuring a share on the NAS folder within the monstershare. Should I use an ACL preset? And if so should I use open, restricted or home?

In the future I do wish to access this machine remotely although right now I am just setting it up on a LAN that doesn't have internet access yet.

Davvo

MVP
So I'm configuring a share on the NAS folder within the monstershare. Should I use an ACL preset? And if so should I use open, restricted or home?

In the future I do wish to access this machine remotely although right now I am just setting it up on a LAN that doesn't have internet access yet.
1) yes, you should use a preset. The choice depends on how you want to config It, usually I go with restricted.
You can find more here and here.
Remember to apply permissions recursively as you have data in the dataset.

2) that's an entire different thing that requires a bit more preparation. We are talking about VPN and SSH, and you have to know that TrueNAS is not made for direct internet exposure. I suggest you to start researching on the forum to get an idea.

Edit: added some reference.

Last edited: