First NAS - sanity check and a couple of questions

Hello!
It seems the universe wants me to build my first NAS, since I was looking at some ready-options and upgrading my pc, then decided to learn more about freenas and my pc died (at least it seems the motherboard did)

so here I am, after watching Guides, reading threads and a bit of the documentation here.

I have picked some new hardware which I think would work, but would like your feedback.

ORIGINAL HARDWARE - HP OMEN 880-170na I bought about 5-6 years ago
CPU Intel i7-8700k
RAM 2x8Gb DDR4 2666
256GB NVME drive
GPU GeForce gtx 1080 (see below why I’m mentioning it)

NEW PLANNED HARDWARE
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600g
motherboard ASU’s prime B550M-K
RAM reuse what I have
HDD I’ll get new NAS drives (4x4Gb?)
boot drive Either what I have or take a 4Gb nvme from a mini pc I have available

I started looking at CPU and motherboard that support ECC ram, but this is so new to me this is going to be a test NAS, so I’ll be ready to loose everything while learning, and if it all goes wrong and I give up I won’t have invested too much in it (although I’m hard headed). Initially I would have liked to try and reuse the intel CPU (assuming that is working, as system is down and not sure if it’s the motherboard only or more). Anyway, all motherboards that would support it seem to be discontinued so perhaps it’s best I move on to a new one and maybe get ready to accept some ecc ram sometime not too far from here - maybe a year or so would be good and it doesn’t cost me much now to get started.

I have seen other beginners mention “cache SSD” to be told that it’s not a thing. I think they refer to saving some data to an additional ssd for speed, that then get copied to the Hdd. I have seen some YouTube videos where this was mentioned so I guess beginners Like me get confused. I have read some feedback on that but still confused on whether that’s a thing and I should look at that or not. I don’t think so, but I’d be grateful if someone could explain it to me as if I was a 5 year old.

MAIN USAGE
I’m a photographer and my main intent is obviously for storage and accessing or backing up files while I work abroad, or on location. I would also like to use it as storage for some personal data, but very small.

EXTRA/INTERESTING USAGE
I have worked as a 3D artist in the past and would like to start creating cgi again. A user on reddit confirmed my thoughts that I could setup a virtual machine as a render server, pass through my GPU (with Truenas scale). This would be again something I’m interested in trying to set up but not essential, as a learning experience to start with. I’m afraid though that the hardware, specifically the CPU might not be enough for this use. Could anyone give some advice on that? I don’t have the first clue about how VMs work and how it would affect the storage setup. A friend that is a computer scientist also mentioned working on virtual machines is a secure way to work.

LONG TERM PLANS
- If all goes well in the future the idea is to expand the storage and upgrade the ram perhaps (in size and/or to ecc) on this first NAS - which i foresee will be needed-, that will become an additional NAS
- Build a new NAS. Whatever happens with the VM plans I’ll need to see. Maybe you will tell me now to leave it for later or forget it completely.

Thanks !