BUILD First FreeNAS Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
That cooler days it's for x9 motherboard. Will it for the x10? Why the sri over the srl? Only difference I see is Ethernet port version.

DaneJa

Dabbler
That cooler days it's for x9 motherboard. Will it for the x10? Why the sri over the srl? Only difference I see is Ethernet port version.

I checked its compatibility on Supermicro's site and it's compatible.
The SRi was cheaper. Open box, but I'm going to be testing the system rigorously anyway.

marbus90

Guru
I'm also researching my first server build for FreeNAS and I've been reading as much as I can find. I'm wondering how you plan to interact with your server. I see your choice of Supermicro board has built-in graphics and remote management. I have also been looking at using an Intel server board, S1200V3RPL with a Xeon E3-1265L V3 processor. It also has graphics and remote management, is power-efficient, has Intel dual GB LAN, six SATA 6GB/sec ports, and good bang for the buck. I'm planning on 16GB Crucial ECC RAM to start, can be increased to 32GB, 2 x 4TB WD Red drives to start. What do you guys thing of this Intel motherboard and cpu combo? When I'm done, I'll post full details of everything.
I wouldn't pick that CPU. You don't need low power CPUs. New CPUs are downclocking and downvolting. a E3-1225 v3 uses 2W in idle as a E3-1265L v3 would use. And really, get yourself some Supermicro gear. the Intel board does not have remote management. it's an addin module. Supermicros have that onboard. X10SLL-F X10SLL+-F X10SLM+-F X10SLM-F are good choices. SATA speed doesn't matter with HDDs and/or Gbps LAN.
Next time don't hijack other threads but create your own.

The Socket 2011 cooler mounts are the same as the 2011-3 mounts. As long as the right square/narrow ILM mount is included, it fits.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I wouldn't pick that CPU. You don't need low power CPUs. New CPUs are downclocking and downvolting. a E3-1225 v3 uses 2W in idle as a E3-1265L v3 would use. And really, get yourself some Supermicro gear. the Intel board does not have remote management. it's an addin module. Supermicros have that onboard. X10SLL-F X10SLL+-F X10SLM+-F X10SLM-F are good choices. SATA speed doesn't matter with HDDs and/or Gbps LAN.
Next time don't hijack other threads but create your own.

The Socket 2011 cooler mounts are the same as the 2011-3 mounts. As long as the right square/narrow ILM mount is included, it fits.

This. I will take this opportunity to remind everyone that Xeon L / Core i3 T processors are for thermally-constrained scenarios. They do not save power doing equivalent workloads.

DaneJa

Dabbler
Just wanted to take a moment and say thanks to everyone for your help. The build is going well. The HDD's have been burning in and should finish tomorrow (I found one that needs replacing while running badblocks, so I'm glad for the threads on proper HDD testing). Obviously I still need to wire and program the switch, figure out what I'm going to do for a firewall solution, and receive the last blanking panel and replacement for the plastic fastener I broke, but things are going well so far. Thanks again!

hwtRIOM.jpg

By the way, the UCoustic cabinet works wonders for noise attenuation.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
By the way, the UCoustic cabinet works wonders for noise attenuation.

Oh, so two things:

1. That cabinet looks pretty cool.
2. Damn, that is much to expensive for my budget. :(

DaneJa

Dabbler
Oh, so two things:

1. That cabinet looks pretty cool.
2. Damn, that is much to expensive for my budget. :(

It was definitely a painful shock, but I feel it was worth it for how effective it is. I was going to get a 24u cabinet but ultimately decided to downsize to 12u, prioritizing noise reduction over getting a larger, different cabinet.

Status
Not open for further replies.