BUILD Parts List - First Build of First Time User

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading the Hardware recommendations thread and the hardware requirements page I think I have a parts list for my first build. If there are any glaring compatibility errors in my choices that I may have overlooked I would appreciate the expertise of the forum members.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATED LIST
Thank you @CraigD and @ChriZ for pointing out my mistakes. I'm learning and greatly appreciate the advice. I had to go do some extra reading to figure out if I was OK with using unbuffered RAM, and I think it's a risk I can live with.

Motherboard (switched to the model that supports IPMI)
1 SUPERMICRO MBD-X11SSM-F-O Micro ATX Server Motherboard

Processor (the board supports E3-1200... I'm assuming that means all 12** series so 1220 will be OK?)
1 Intel Xeon E3-1220 v5 SkyLake 3.0 GHz LGA 1151 80W BX80662E31220V5 Server Processor

Chassis
1 Fractal Design Define R5 White Silent ATX Midtower Computer Case

Power Supply
1 SeaSonic S12G S12G-550 550W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Boot device
1 SUPERMICRO SSD-DM016-PHI SATA DOM (SuperDOM) Solutions

Memory (I used the Crucial site configuration tool to find compatible memory. I'm glad @ChriZ pointed that out, I've been happy with other Crucial products in the past so to me it's worth the small price increase. Since the board supports up to 64GB I'm thinking I can start with 2 x 16GB and add 2 more in the future if needed)
1 Crucial 32GB Kit (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2133 ECC UDIMM http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/x11ssm-f/CT7982363

HDDs (7 x 6TB instead of 8 x 4TB so I can fit them all on the board without needing an HBA)
7 WD Red WD60EFRX 6TB IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" NAS Hard Drive Bare Drive

Last edited:

CraigD

Patron
What is your use case? CIFS shares, jails (how many), VMs etc

How many users?

Production or home environment?

Why such an old board? I would go Haswell or even Skylake with crucial memory the newer boards are comparable in price

Besides your motherboard 3 SATA ports short

How much PSU you need is highly debated, I say go bigger, others will say your fine

Have Fun

ChriZ

Patron
Your motherboard doesn't support registered RAM.
You will also need an HBA to connect all 8 drives.

Thanks, @CraigD for the feedback!

Use case is: Home use, primarily CIFS shares for two users (if my fiancee still agrees to stay with me after she sees the price tag). I also intend to use it as an archive for professional video editing project files, large groups of files that won't need frequent access but would benefit from quick transfer speeds in the rare occasion that access is needed.
Number of users: At most 2 but rarely accessing individually at the same time.
Environment: Home/semi-professional home office but definitely not ever risking client data or irreplaceable stuff on it.

I went with the old board based on the minimum requirements in the hardware recommendations, but seeing that the guide is a bit outdated and that prices for newer boards are comparable I've updated the list. Thanks for catching that!

New board supports 8 SATA ports.
Updated processor to newer version.
Different RAM configuration for future expansion option
Less HDDs, bigger capacity each to eliminate need for HBA

Hopefully this draft of the list is starting to look like something useful!

What is your use case? CIFS shares, jails (how many), VMs etc

How many users?

Production or home environment?

Why such an old board? I would go Haswell or even Skylake with crucial memory the newer boards are comparable in price

Besides your motherboard 3 SATA ports short

How much PSU you need is highly debated, I say go bigger, others will say your fine

Have Fun

Your motherboard doesn't support registered RAM.
You will also need an HBA to connect all 8 drives.
I had to read up on the differences between registered/unbuffered ECC. Thank you for that! I had picked out an HBA but forgot to post it in the original list. I'd rather avoid extra parts, so I think new setup should achieve that.

ChriZ

Patron
The supermicro mobo you selected does not have ipmi. You should search for the MBD-X11SSM-F-O model. Not a deal breaker, but you will certainly thank yourself later if you pick a board with ipmi.
You can use a small/cheap/used SSD as a boot device and save a few bucks.
Also make sure that the RAM modules you list above are compatible with the motherboard (Supermicros can be really picky with RAM). I see that kingston modules you listed appear as compatible with your board in kingston's website, so I'm guessing they should work - not sure about the Black Diamond ones, though..
Alternatively, you can go to crucial website and select a compatible module there. You can directly shop from their website and price is very reasonable.

Last edited:
The supermicro mobo you selected does not have ipmi. You should search for the MBD-X11SSM-F-O model. Not a deal breaker, but you will certainly thank yourself later if you pick a board with ipmi.
You can use a small/cheap/used SSD as a boot device and save a few bucks.
Also make sure that the RAM modules you list above are compatible with the motherboard (Supermicros can be really picky with RAM). I see that kingston modules you listed appear as compatible with your board in kingston's website, so I'm guessing they should work - not sure about the Black Diamond ones, though..
Alternatively, you can go to crucial website and select a compatible module there. You can directly shop from their website and price is very reasonable.
Thanks again. I made the changes based on your recommendations. I'm curious to try out a SATA DOM device and it's still relatively cheap so I think I'll give it a shot with that.

CraigD

Patron
IPMI is a real good thing to have, I don't even have the power button connected on the motherboard

If you are going to use freeNAS for storage only the Xeon E3-1220 v5 is not needed the Pentium G4400 is good enough

The Xeon is by far the better chip in many many ways, but for CIFS shares for 2 users the Pentium is all you need, my Haswell Pentium G3258 maxes out a a gigabit connection

Spend the money on bigger or more drives even on a night out with your fiancee

I would use all 8 SATA ports on the board for an 8 drive RAIDz2 pool and boot from dual boot USB drives (If they both die at the same time it is easy to reinstall the freeNAS if you back up the config)

Even if you use the cool SATA DOM or SSD boot device I would run a 7 drive RAIDz2 pool

The beautiful thing with freeNAS is once is set up, it just works and if it needs attention you get an Email

Have Fun

Status
Not open for further replies.