First build for home server - Advice before buying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unnatural

Cadet
Hello, I'm about to buying the parts for my first build. It will serve as home file and media server, maybe also for file sharing. This is what I'm considering:

Motherboard: Supermicro X10SLL-F
RAM: Crucial CT2KIT102472BD160B
Storage: 3x WD Red 4TB (1 already owned) RAIDZ1
PSU: Seasonic G-360
Case: for now, I'll use a m-atx case from an old build, and a 1 or 2 120mm PWM fans.

For OS, I have an A-Data SP900 64GB SSD currently unused, can/should I use it instead of an USB stick?
CPU: I 'm a bit torn here. I guess a G3220 (60€) could be enough for my needs, but I'm tempted to go with an i3 to handle more sophisticated works in future. Makes sense? Since I'd prefer to buy everything from the same seller, my choice is between i3-4160/4170, both at 115€, and i3-4130T for 20€ more (the non-T i3 4130 isn't ready for shipping).
UPS: Would an APC BX500 be ok?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
It will serve as home file and media server, maybe also for file sharing.
I guess a G3220 (60€) could be enough for my needs, but I'm tempted to go with an i3 to handle more sophisticated works in future. Makes sense?
I'm completely satisfied with the performance of my G3220, but I don't consume anything above 720p, and only one HTPC client. Do you plan to transcode HD video? Multiple streams?

ALFA

Explorer
I think a better strategy would be to buy another hard disk and go mirroring, raidz1 is not recommended unless you have an appropriate backup and would be also advisable to get another PSU, a SEASONIC g-550 maybe.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
I want to echo what @Robert Trevellyan said about CPU.

I think the number one hardware mistake, in terms of flushing money down the toilet, that FreeNAS users make is over-powering the CPU. Unless you are doing something quite special indeed, a G3220 is going to be PLENTY of juice. My G3220 has been above 10% CPU usage probably a grand total of 10 minutes in the past 2 years. Everyone always wants to "future proof" or "be ready for unanticipated usages", but the truth is, when the "future" or the "unanticipated usage" arrives, which it almost never does, you still don't need it.

The one exception is serious Plex transcoding. And not everyone running Plex is giong to need transcoding---e.g., I run Plex, and I have never once had to transcode anything.

flyinfitz1

Explorer
I have a Lenovo TS140 with the i3-4160. I use it for plex and every so often it does max out with transcoding or heavy streaming. I recommend spending the extra cash and upgrade over the G3220.

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
I believe Plex will always use all available CPU cycles when it begins transcoding, to fill the buffer as quickly as possible. The question is, does the CPU remain maxed out during playback?

flyinfitz1

Explorer
Mine spikes during playback and completely max's the CPU. That being said ive yet to really have problems with streaming from PLEX or using any of the other services during those periods. I am glad I bumped up to the i3.

Status
Not open for further replies.