BUILD First Build, Just checking

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingtowers

Cadet
Hi there, I've been reading a lot and decided to build my own FreeNas server, just want to be sure that I'm not overlooking anything. I'm planing to use it as storage mostly for my BluRay Rips and install Emby or Plex but probably only using 2 transcoding streams at most at the same time.

CPU: Intel Core i3-4170
Motherboard: Supermicro X10SLL-F
RAM: 2x Samsung 8GB DDR3L-1600 ECC (M391B1G73QH0-YK0)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4
Storage: 6x Western Digital WD Red 3TB
PSU: be quiet! Straight Power 10 400W
UPS: FSP Fortron/Source EP 650

I'm planing to use Raid-Z2. I'm mostly wondering if the CPU and 16 GB RAM will be fine for my needs. Any comments and critique is appreciated and welcome.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Looks like it will fit your needs well. I'm not familiar with that power supply but maybe some others can offer their advice.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Everything looks fine to me as well. Consider whether you may want to expand past six drives in the future. If you think that's likely, you may be better off with the X10SL7 instead, as it integrates a SAS HBA.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I'd recommend a Seasonic G-450 (or similar) instead of the PSU you chose, otherwise, everything looks good.

kingtowers

Cadet
Thanks for the replies.

I hadn't actually considered a motherboard with more hard drive support but I'm not sure if I will be expanding in the foreseeable future. That motherboard is 80€ more though. But I'll think about it some more.

About the PSU, I've always heard that be quiet! has a good reputation (at least here in Germany) and I've been running two of them, one in my main rig and one in my HTPC for a couple of years now without complaint. Is there any specific reason why you recommend the Seasonic over the be quiet!?

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Because they are the best PSUs I ever seen, very high quality, very high efficiency, ... and the prices for the G series are very good too ;)

ChriZ

Patron
Be quiet is actually a very good manufacturer, I agree with @kingtowers
A lot of other companies also create good PSUs - there is not only Seasonic out there.
BUT... most of the companies are targeting gamers, that's why the really good models are 700+ watts. Seasonic, on the other hand is mostly targeted to servers, so even their low wattage models are almost perfect.
Just my 2c...

Status
Not open for further replies.