Firewall Port Forward To Plex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy Memorial Day,

This is sort of a dual FreeNAS/pfSense question... I've done all the setup in pfSense to port forward my Plex port to the IP address assigned to Plex in FreeNAS, but it doesn't work. The question is, could it be that the port needs to be forwarded to the IP of FreeNAS instead of the IP assigned to the jail from FreeNAS?

Any ideas would be helpful...

Thanks!

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
This really should be very simple, sir. Forward TCP on the appropriate port from the WAN to the IP address of the jail for the Plex server. If that's not working, something else is awry.

What does Plex->Settings->Server->Remote Access say?

kdragon75

Wizard
By default plex will block non local connections. I'll have to get my server back up and running and I can tell you the setting and where it is. It may take a few days as we just moved into a new house and I need to run cable..... sigh...

Do not expose you FreeNAS server to the internet!!! Forward to the jail IP.
Check with http://canyouseeme.org/ if you have set up things right, and you need to have a public IP.

That web site can see the port as open on my WAN IP.

This really should be very simple, sir. Forward TCP on the appropriate port from the WAN to the IP address of the jail for the Plex server. If that's not working, something else is awry.

What does Plex->Settings->Server->Remote Access say?

Yeah, the web site mentioned above can see the port as open on my WAN IP, but Plex just says "Your server is signed in to Plex, but is not reachable from outside your network."

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I had this same issue once and restarting FreeNAS solved it.

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo
oh, yes, of course. Once you open the port, you have to restart the plex. I assumed the user tried that already.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
And if that doesn't work reset your states table in pfsense.

No such luck. Rebooted FreeNAS and therefore, Plex. Still no access, but canyouseeme.org can see the port open. I'm leaning this more toward a pfSense configuration issue, and maybe my understanding of NAT.

I have more than one interface on my pfSense box, and the servers are on a different network. LAN is 192.168.0.1 and FreeNAS is on a different interface of 192.168.1.1. Although all the internals speak just fine, this Plex thing is being stubborn. I can access the FreeNAS from the other interfaces fine, but I might be missing something here...

Okay, so hopefully this will help someone in the future...

This seems to have started working after working around the pfSense DNS Resolver configuration which protects against DNS Rebinding Attacks. Basically, I had to adjust the DNS Resolver configuration. In the pfSense web UI, go to Services > DNS Resolver, click Display Custom Options, and enter the following the the text box:

Code:
server:
private-domain: "plex.direct"

The details are available in this article, DNS Rebinding Protections.

https://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/DNS_Rebinding_Protections

Thanks for the helpful suggestions, hopefully this helps someone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.