Plex plugin doesn't ask for authentication from Web?

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricd7

Explorer
Hello,

I recently installed and configured the Plex plugin so that I could serve my media files out to my Roku boxes. I also followed their directions online to port-forward port 32400 to the jail IP of my plex installation. So now I can hit the public IP of my home network on that port and get to my media from outside. The problem is that this portal doesn't ask for any kind of authentication?? That would mean that just anyone who scans ports on my public IP address could find my media library and stream my movies and TV? What have I done wrong?

ED7

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I run Plex in a VM on my proxmox cluster and forward the port, but get prompted for Plex credentials when I hit that address from external.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
How did you test accessing it from external? You need to do that from a network that isn't behind your router.

electricd7

Explorer
Yes I have tried from numerous computers outside my network and each time it pops right up and shows me the dashboard. I just tried from my work computer and it did the same thing. I am just hitting my external IP address with a tail-end of :32400/web and it works each time without prompting. What could I be doing wrong?

Sounds like a Plex issue to me however I'm not sure how determined they'd be to fix it - the official way of remotely accessing your server is to use MyPlex (which works quite well, I might add). One thing you'll notice if you use MyPlex is that the port is different to the one used on your local network. My guess is that the way their determine whether to ask for authentication is the port you come in on. I guess you could try forwarding the MyPlex port instead although I believe that's allocated randomly.

cdgonzalez

Dabbler
I use Plex within a Jail and do not have this issue. It looks like there are some fixes you can try on the Plex boards.

Suggested fix from https://forums.plex.tv/index.php/to...ernal-ipport-without-authenticating/?p=677719

"I removed the Preferences.xml file from "/usr/pbi/plexmediaserver-amd64/plexdata/Plex Media Server/" on my FreeNAS server and that resolved the issue of having ZERO authentication remote or local."

electricd7

Explorer
Thanks, I found that this morning on Plex forums as well. That was exactly it. For some reason Preferences.xml had "disableRemoteSecurity="1"" instead of 0. I changed to 0, restarted the plugin, and now it asks for auth on the visit from outside the network.

Status
Not open for further replies.