Plex unauthorized

Status
Not open for further replies.

MurrayS

Dabbler
Recently, I upgraded FreeNAS to version 11. Couple of weeks prior to that I replaced the wireless router and the IP addresses got changed. After all these changes the Plex server, which was running on FreeNAS 9, got totally hosed and was not accessible, so I decided to re-install it. I don’t watch TV so can’t tell whether the malfunction was due to change in IP address or because of version of FreeNAS. Kids complained about not being able to access Plex via Roku.

Issue:
- When I attempt to access the Plex server from Roku box, I get the following message: Server (serverName) is not accessible (unauthorized). Please sign into your serve rand check your connection.

Actions taken:
- So far, I’ve installed Plex both inside a jail and as a plugin and the result is the same:
- I can see the server and the media I’ve uploaded to the server at http://192.168.x.x:32400/web/index.html
- When I navigate to https://app.plex.tv/desktop, the spinner on the upper left corner keeps looking for the server with no success.
- Plex server and Roku box are on the same subnet (255.255.255.0).
- Can logon to Plex on Roku by linking the accounts, and Roku sees the server but can't connect to it (see the description in the Issue section)

Has anyone encountered a similar issue, and how did you resolve it?

Appreciate your suggestions and support.

Well it sounds like you are allowing the jail to get an IP address via DHCP. I would put a reservation in so it has the same IP address that it used to have and my guess is the problem will be solved. Otherwise set a static IP for the jail so that it stays where it belongs. You may however have issues with access from outside the network by doing this as some routers are now looking at MAC addresses as well as the IP and both need to match for packets to forward along with access outside of the network.

I do not have a Roku but my SmartTV Plex app plays better with a static IP address for the Plex server being input into it so if the internet connection happens to go down so I do not lose access to my movies. Anyway I would make a guess that at some point in time you set the IP address of the Plex in the Roku for the same type of reason. This would cause an issue if it is trying to talk to say 192.168.1.125 when the Plex is actually on 192.168.1.101

MurrayS

Dabbler
Well it sounds like you are allowing the jail to get an IP address via DHCP. I would put a reservation in so it has the same IP address that it used to have and my guess is the problem will be solved. Otherwise set a static IP for the jail so that it stays where it belongs. You may however have issues with access from outside the network by doing this as some routers are now looking at MAC addresses as well as the IP and both need to match for packets to forward along with access outside of the network.

I do not have a Roku but my SmartTV Plex app plays better with a static IP address for the Plex server being input into it so if the internet connection happens to go down so I do not lose access to my movies. Anyway I would make a guess that at some point in time you set the IP address of the Plex in the Roku for the same type of reason. This would cause an issue if it is trying to talk to say 192.168.1.125 when the Plex is actually on 192.168.1.101

Thanks nightshade for the response.
I neglected to mention that both Roku and Plex have reserved IPs with the router. I really doubt IP address is the issue. My goal is to allow access to Plex on the same network not from outside.

adrianwi

Guru
I seem to remember Plex changed some stuff a while back which made it difficult to connect to your PMS server unless it was logged into your plex.tv account.

They did eventually put in a workaround but you needed to add in the client IP addresses into the PMS Settings (Advanced Network setting screen)

I'm assuming you also have a port forwarded on your router to the PMS jail?

MurrayS

Dabbler
After messing around with plex and network configuration, I really messed things up to the point of not being able to access Plex admin page. Ended up zapping the jail and re-installing Plex as a plugin, one more time. This time everything all worked fine and I'm able to access the media on network devices. Can't put my finger on what I did differently. Remote access is disabled as was with previous installations. Thank you for comments/suggestions and for triggering persistence in me : )
-murray

adrianwi

Guru
Given you've just zapped one and started again, my advice would be to zap the Plex plugin and manually install it in a jail following this guide > https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...to-install-plex-in-a-freenas-9-10-jail.19412/

It will give you much more control over the update process and you'll learn a little about jails at the same time. It's probably one of the easiest places to start, and shouldn't take more than 10-15 minutes ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.