Files saved directly to TrueNAS have incorrect timestamp

Nocturnowl

Cadet
Hey everyone,

Fairly new to TrueNAS so please go easy on me. I've setup my NAS to run in a small creative studio environment. All our assets and backups of project files are stored on the NAS. Typically, we work locally and then use Syncback Pro to sync our local projects folder with the one on the NAS, however, sometimes we need to work directly off the NAS for ease or when a project gets too large for local storage.

The problem we are having is when files are created, saved or rendered directly to the NAS, the timestamp on the file is 7 hours and 55 minutes in the future, which is presenting quite a few problems. This happens from any PC connected to the NAS, whether the drive is mapped as a network drive or if you just type the IP address into the explorer bar.

When files are created locally and syncd back to the NAS, or copied from anywhere, they retain their correct timestamp.

All machines that connect to the NAS are windows based. Running TrueNAS-12.0-U5.1

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Redcoat

MVP
Welcome to the forums!

I have no specific experience in this time topic, but I can say that this seems like an interesting dilemma.

I do have some "stab-in-the-dark" questions, all related to potential non-windows time sources on your network:

1. What time does TrueNAS say it is on a freshly refreshed dashboard?

1636747662817.png

Mine gives me the correct local time (as above).

2. What do you have specified for servers at System>NTP Servers?

1636748017568.png

3. What time does your server's BIOS say it is?

4. Does your router sync with a time server? If so, what time does it think it is?

I have no idea if any of these will provide an "ah-ha" moment...

Nocturnowl

Cadet
Hey, thanks for your reply.

So I never noticed the time on the dashboard, and that is actually giving me the incorrect time. But in the system/general settings it's set correctly. See below.

1636754984566.png

1636755023061.png

So I guess the question here is, if the dashboard doesn't get it's time from what's set in the general settings, Where does it get it's time from?

I'll have a look at the bios over the weekend, need to install a GPU in there so I can get a GUI

I haven't specified any NTP servers, just the default.

My router's time seems to be correct.

Cheers!

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity

Nocturnowl

Cadet
For anything time-dependent, you really need to configure and use NTP.

Are you saying that for general system time and for files to be timestamped correctly that I have to use a custom NTP server?

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
No, verify NTP is actually working. In the shell, run ntpq, and then peers at the ntpq> prompt. This will display which NTP servers you're syncing against.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Are you saying that for general system time and for files to be timestamped correctly that I have to use a custom NTP server?

No, I'm saying that if you are doing anything that requires correct time, you really need to configure and use NTP. If you do not have a functional NTP setup, your clock will drift at whatever the natural drift of your system is, and as it drifts away from the time of other systems on your network, you can encounter strange problems. So you need to start by checking to see that you have NTP configured and that it is being used to synchronize your time. Perhaps the quickest check is to run "ntpq -p" from the command line and post the results here.