computer management snap-in can't manage truenas

Gianni_Pitto

Cadet
Hi everyone,
I've installed truenas and joined it to our domain. Everything went good so far.

But when we try to manage the truenas from windows server , computer management snap-ip says that the nas cannot be managed, and that we should check network connection etc etc ...
On truenas , if i give the command "wbinfo -t" or "wbinfo -u" is ok .
On the networking side, it seems that there is no problem. netstat says that connections are established properly.

after spending a lot of hours, I don't know what to check . The domain user has admin rights, and we can manage other nas of other brands.
Could you please give me an hint ?
Thank you.

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
There's an "administrators Group" in the advanced settings. Can you describe how you have set this up?

If its not a configuration issue, please document the software version and other users can comment on whether its working for them.

Gianni_Pitto

Cadet
ok, configured it, but it is still partially working. now I can open the snap ip but the error still pop-up, and when connected from computer mgmt to truenas I can't see any built-in group (administrator and backup operator) where I'm supposed to put the windows users.
Version : truenas-12-0-U1.1

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Groups are defined either within TrueNAS (not built-in) or defined by Active-Directory... which approach are you trying?
Suggest you document that and update to 12.0-U2.1

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
There's no built-in groups unless you have set them up... can you describe what you've setup and people might be able to see where the mistake has been made. I can't see any other reports of this issue.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Management of local users and groups is not enabled through Computer Management by default in TrueNAS (i.e. adding and deleting them). Local user and group accounts should be created through the webui. Domain admins are automatically added as foreign members of the builtin administrators group when you join AD. Ditto for "domain users" and "builtin users".

If you for some reason wish to add a local user to the builtin administrators group, then you can make them a member of the group `builtin_administrators` in the GUI.