[FEATURE] Separate "Reserved" space from "Used"

Sawtaytoes

Patron
REQUEST: I think space should be reported as Used, Reserved, and Available rather than just Used (reserved, snapshot, etc) and Available. In fact, I'd even like it if snapshots could be separated from "Used" because it's very confusing.

Ideally, I'd see this as:
- Used (datasets without snapshots).
- Snapshots (all snapshots minus the data; like a diff).
- Reserved
- Total Used (data, snapshots, and reserved
- Available (quota'd)

This would make it more useful.

1674202969524.png

Look at this example:
1674202064233.png

Here, Used space includes snapshots and reserved space. I can understand snapshots, because this is supposed to show how full the pool is but not reserved space. Reserved space isn't "used"; it's allocated so others cannot use it. Sure, it's not Available, but it's also not Used, so this "Used Space" warning is completely useless right now.

I have two datasets reserving space. One is 2TB, and the other is 3TB:
1674202078912.png

I set these limits and reserved this space, for a number of reasons:
1. These two datasets are replicated to a different zpool which is only 5.2TB.
2. The main zpool is over 90TB, so I want to make sure the used space isn't over the 5TB backup pool limit (quota)
3. I want to make sure that 5TB is reserved, so anything using the rest of the 90TB isn't gonna take up that space. Snapshots from other datasets could exceed 70TB. Rather than quota every single root dataset that's not one of these, it makes more sense to reserve the space for these 5TB datasets instead.

Is this something iX Systems would be willing to change?

Does anyone have any other arguments for or against?

oblivioncth

Explorer
Seems reasonable to me, though I imagine there could be fine details I'm not thinking about that might make this be not as simple as it seems.

Davvo

MVP
You need to post on jira, here is useless beside getting a response from the users.

You can access the jira site by clicking on "report a bug".

Last edited:

oblivioncth

Explorer

morganL

Captain Morgan
Administrator
iXsystems
Isn't it:

Reserved is a configured number that doesn't change

Reserved remaining = Reserved - Used (can be negative)