Dataset Quota vs Reserved - Reserved is to tell the pool to guarantee this much?

flashdrive

Patron
I am running an Apple Time Machine backup target on the TN Core host.

The respective datasets for this are set up with a quota limitation. This is seen by the macOS backup clients. I have not yet tried if Apple TM is able to work as intented by deleting older backup versions once the storage is running out.

"Reserved space for this dataset > Default of 0 is unlimited. Specifying a value means to keep at least this much space free and is suitable for datasets containing logs which could otherwise take up all available free space."

Just a confirmation if I understand this correct:

So this refers to the storage space of the pool?

for example:

100 GByte is the amont I want to allocate for 1 macOS client backup storage on TN host.

Currently 50 GByte have been used. The TN Core pool has other datasets, where new data / files are being stored to.

For Apple TM:

I will set "dataset quota" to 100 GByte to limit the max. amount the Apple TM machine backup can have from the pool storage.

I will set "dataset Reserved space for this dataset" also to 100 GByte to ensure that these 100 GByte are always available from the pool storage.

Last edited: