TN Core as backup target for Win 10 clients and Apple Time Machine - best practice?

flashdrive

Patron
1. I want to limit the useable disk space on a per client basis - so one dataset with a quota for each client.

2. Is TN Core stable / reliable to work as an Apple Time Machine target? What needs to be set up (SMB Share)?

3. Any experience with restoring the backups? (Win 10, macOS)?

flashdrive

Patron
Time Machine Setup Howto:

todo: quota and reserved

follow exactly like so

edit: change Share type from "Generic" to "SMB" - this did the job regarding ACL.

not necessary after the change above:

and apply ACL fix
The solution was to go to the dataset (not the share) "time_machine" and add in the permissions ACL an entry for "@everyone" with permission "Traverse"

Do not change "Generic" !

after setting up Apple Time Machine on the client a sub dataset was created:

apply the storage quota to this dataset!

This functionality applies to AFP style Time Machines, and the functionality was added to the FreeNAS GUI in 11.1

For modern Macos, and with TrueNAS 12, you should be using an SMB Time Machine, and rather than having a single dataset, which is shared via AFP, you instead create another dataset, and then you share that via SMB with the multi-user timemachine preset.

Then you create a new user on your TrueNAS for each mac you wish to backup (for example user-mbp, user-imac etc)

Then you should be able to add the SMB timemachine as a disk to a given macs timemachine, login when prompted with the specific device user/password.

TrueNAS will then create a dataset for that user and that will contain the backup.

In the GUI you can then set a quota for that new dataset.

I generally allow 2x the physical disk size for time machine backups.

It seems to work quite well, and the "legacy" time machine can still be used for legacy macos devices which don't support SMB timemachine.

Why is this not possible? >
Disable ZFS Snapshots for these datasets.

Windows Client:

see ongoing https://www.truenas.com/community/t...tware-required-quota-on-tn-core-enable.96124/

setup was easy, regular SMB share, point from Windows client to this network share, done

keep in mind:

Once the storage quota has been reached, it will be hard to shrink it to a smaller size (like in real life - try to take away something...) - so start with a small quota and then go from there.

Last edited:

flashdrive

Patron
Hint for myself:

do not use the dataset / copies feature: this will double (for 2) the required storage space; has nothing to do with snapshops

This would come in handy for high value data, to prevent unreadable files in case of system misbehaviour. This is also not a backup.

flashdrive

Patron
quota and reserved:

Issue:

the TrueNAS-12.0-U8 quota sized does not seem to work with Time Machine in macOS 12.2.1 (21D62)

give this a try:

http://ip/ui/storage/pools/user-quotas/

Set up a data quota on a per user base.

My TN - TM setup has a single user per client anyway so fingers crossed that this works.

see