Fastest way to copy (or move) files between shares

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
So if my available space is 7TB and I am trying to move 9TB of data, it will not work?
It will work, it moves a file and then removes it. mv command handles what you are referring to. What i was trying to say was it's not just a matter of changing the inode reference, it actually does a copy of the data since a dataset technically had it's own inodes type references.

I just jumped in myself. Sorry it took so long - right after I posted I had to leave and run a quick errand.

No worries. Send a PM with anything you want to know and ill try to get back to you.

macmuchmore

Explorer
It will work, it moves a file and then removes it. mv command handles what you are referring to. What i was trying to say was it's not just a matter of changing the inode reference, it actually does a copy of the data since a dataset technically had it's own inodes type references.
I am not sure that is the case. I am running the mv command right now and it looks like it is copying ALL the data first, and then will delete the originals after the copying is finished. This is unfortunate as I am not sure I have enough space for all of my data to be duplicated, before the originals are removed.

macmuchmore

Explorer
Ok - so bad news. The mv command copies all the files and then once the copy is finished, THEN it delete the originals. So my mv error out with no more space available in my pool. To make matters worse, when I tried deleting the files (I have them backed up to another server), they seemed to be deleted, but the available space on my server is still almost zero. I do not see where all the data is being stored so that I can free up space by deleting it. Any suggestions?

macmuchmore

Explorer
Ended up rebuilding the server from scratch. :-(

Sorry I was unreachable. This is why when there is some data that matches the rsync option with --delete is actually pretty sweet. Anything that is already there is skipped. Anything not there is copied then deleted. Just remember to append --dry-run to any rsync command if you are unsure.

Its good to rebuild once in awhile when you start to learn. Another thing is to always have a snapshot to roll to. If something isnt working out like you wanted, just roll the relevant pools back and start over. I do a manual ss on all pools every time im about to do major changes. It saves lots of time once in awhile. You have to do maintenance on these snapshots though because as the data radically changes they get bigger. I generally keep them until im happy things are perfect and destroy them, then let my auto snapshots take over again.