Fastest way to copy (or move) files between shares

The command should be almost instant and will return to a # prompt. You shouldnt have to delete it, the two folders if identically named should merge. But if makes any difference you can delete it as it will be replaced anyway.

macmuchmore

Explorer
The command should be almost instant and will return to a # prompt. You shouldnt have to delete it, the two folders if identically named should merge. But if makes any difference you can delete it as it will be replaced anyway.
It is not instantaneous (probably due to the large amount of data, and I am running a copy over the network at the same time), but it is running much faster than if I were to do it over the network. Thank you so much for the help.

The only other concern is that I have a directory with about 9 TB of data, and my free space on that pool is less than that - which is why I was hoping it would move the data, and not copy, then delete. I do not think I have enough space for that.

Yeah i suppose it could take a minute if theres that much data, but in reality its just updating where that data is on the drive so should be much faster.

Also all of this data is on the same pool so the space issue will only be a problem if you are "copying" the data.

macmuchmore

Explorer
Yeah i suppose it could take a minute if theres that much data, but in reality its just updating where that data is on the drive so should be much faster.
I think the next time I do this, I will use a terminal program and not use the shell built into the gui - I think it will be a bit more forgiving about staying logged in (i.e. the browser keeps trying to refresh lol)

macmuchmore

Explorer
Also all of this data is on the same pool so the space issue will only be a problem if you are "copying" the data.
Excellent - I was just worried because while the command is running, it looks like the data is in two places on my desktop.

putty is free and widely used. Congrats, your learning!

macmuchmore

Explorer
putty is free and widely used. Congrats, your learning!
I'm using a mac atm, so I will have to use something like termius, iterm or cyberduck.... I have used putty before, but it was a looooong time ago. lol

It should be noted if you exit or close the terminal, the move stops. You can issue the command screen once you connect, and it saves the session. You use screen -r to "reattach" the session. Use it, its great, and included..

macmuchmore

Explorer
It should be noted if you exit or close the terminal, the move stops. You can issue the command screen once you connect, and it saves the session. You use screen -r to "reattach" the session. Use it, its great, and included..
I hope the shell in the web gui doesn't time out..... Thanks for the tip! Definitely will use a terminal emulator next time since it is so easy to ssh into my FreeNAS machine.

Keep it open in you browser until it completes, im surprised its not done by now.

macmuchmore

Explorer
Ummm, I have a LOT of data.... and I am doing a copy of my media files from one server to the other over the network... The folder I am moving right now has 60 items in it - about 35 have been moved so far.

macmuchmore

Explorer
Keep it open in you browser until it completes, im surprised its not done by now.
It is unfortunate that the mv command does not show progress....

See my original post.. rsync is my preferred way when i want to know progress (-P)

However, rsync technically copies so this route would not work for you this time.

macmuchmore

Explorer
See my original post.. rsync is my preferred way when i want to know progress (-P)

However, rsync technically copies so this route would not work for you this time.
I did - but I was under the impression that rsync does a copy, not a move. With the amount of free space on my pool, I will not be able to do a copy (but a move is viable).

macmuchmore

Explorer

Can I ask you a couple of questions about rsync? (should I open another topic?)

Ill hop in the chatroom

macmuchmore

Explorer

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
A mv between datasets is the same as a cp and rm.

Rsync would be super slow compared to mv.

macmuchmore

Explorer
A mv between datasets is the same as a cp and rm.

Rsync would be super slow compared to mv.
So if my available space is 7TB and I am trying to move 9TB of data, it will not work?