Fastest way to mv files between datasets with some sort of GUI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvanVanVan

Patron
What's the fastest/easiest method of moving files between datasets on the same volume with a GUI? I found this thread (http://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/moving-files-within-the-same-share.15485/) but the final solution was a mv command and I'd prefer something GUI based. I tried WinSCP in SCP mode and it basically froze the program. Is enabling and using FTP my best option? Any other viable options?

Thanks

Edit: I guess WinSCP did work decently, after the GUI stopped responding in windows (and I force closed it), the transfer did actually complete pretty fast...

cyberjock

Inactive Account
There is no GUI based solutions. Your best bet is to do a mv command from SSH or locally. Locally is better because if your SSH session is closed or disconnected the mv command immediately stops. Not the most ideal situation for most people that want to move huge amounts of data. ;)

EvanVanVan

Patron
Ok thanks. I guess I'm playing with fire if I use WinSCP, and just force close it when it freezes.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
There is no GUI based solutions. Your best bet is to do a mv command from SSH or locally. Locally is better because if your SSH session is closed or disconnected the mv command immediately stops. Not the most ideal situation for most people that want to move huge amounts of data. ;)
Tmux or screen would take care of that problem

Sent from my Nexus 5

TheSmoker

Patron
Ok thanks. I guess I'm playing with fire if I use WinSCP, and just force close it when it freezes.
Winscp will involve transfering data to your workstation from and then back to freenas or other server. That means you are transfering the same data twice, once in each direction.
As sugested get putty, run a ssh with a local move (mv) on freenas and be done with it. Use tmux or screen for forking that command into background just to be safe.

willnx

Dabbler
Please community, correct me if I'm wrong here:

What version of Windows client are you using and what version of FreeNAS?
I ask because FreeNAS 9.2.2 uses Samba 4.1.4 which supports SMB 3, and you have to be on Win 8 for that feature on the client side.

While I still strongly agree with everyone here and you should spend money 1st on getting more RAM into that box, with SMB 3 you should see a bump in GUI performance if you are transferring several files at once. Yay multichannel xD

*Disclaimer - I run only a Linux/ Unix environment with my FreeNAS box, so my knowledge of SMB is just what I've read about.

EvanVanVan

Patron
Please community, correct me if I'm wrong here:

What version of Windows client are you using and what version of FreeNAS?
I ask because FreeNAS 9.2.2 uses Samba 4.1.4 which supports SMB 3, and you have to be on Win 8 for that feature on the client side.

While I still strongly agree with everyone here and you should spend money 1st on getting more RAM into that box, with SMB 3 you should see a bump in GUI performance if you are transferring several files at once. Yay multichannel xD

*Disclaimer - I run only a Linux/ Unix environment with my FreeNAS box, so my knowledge of SMB is just what I've read about.

Was this reply to the wrong thread? I think you're the first to mention RAM, and anyway I've got 32GB (ECC) of it.

I am using Windows 7 with the latest FreeNAS, but my question was more in regards to moving from one dataset to another without having my PC transferring it in the middle (across the network twice). I top out at about 100 MB/s from my computer to the nas, although I didn't check what the speed was if I had to read from the nas first and then send it right back. I'm guessing that would be more like 60MB/s.

But I'll look into SMB3, maybe it's finally a reason to upgrade to Windows 8 that I've been putting off for so long.

Thanks

ser_rhaegar

Patron
But I'll look into SMB3, maybe it's finally a reason to upgrade to Windows 8 that I've been putting off for so long.
SMB3 on Windows 8 is quite awesome. But last I remember, the implementation in Samba wasn't perfect. There are some threads around here from February talking about it.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
EvanVanVan: I think that was meant for a different thread. Not sure what that has to do with moving the data. cp/mv is still the best way to get things done. Anything else will actually move the data from your FreeNAS box across the network to your desktop, then back across the network to the server. Far from fast and lots of room for more problems than cp/mv. That's why I mentioned mv earlier. Your WinSCP is definitely going over the network(which TheSmoker mentioned already).

EvanVanVan

Patron
EvanVanVan: I think that was meant for a different thread. Not sure what that has to do with moving the data. cp/mv is still the best way to get things done. Anything else will actually move the data from your FreeNAS box across the network to your desktop, then back across the network to the server. Far from fast and lots of room for more problems than cp/mv. That's why I mentioned mv earlier. Your WinSCP is definitely going over the network(which TheSmoker mentioned already).

I'm just posting this to see you or anyone else disagrees, but I don't think the way I moved the files using WinSCP went over the network.

I think this is how it was moved: http://winscp.net/eng/docs/task_move_duplicate. I Right clicked>Move on the folder I wanted, and then had to type in the destination. So I think a mv command was actually what was being sent (I was connected via ssh) behind the GUI. It wasn't exactly what I was looking for, but IMO it saved me time. Connecting to the server was faster (a double click of the saved log in details), navigating the GUI to the source folder, and then when the text box popped up asking for the destination, it already had the initial string of "/mnt/volume1/Media" so all I needed to do was edit "Media" to "Private," so overall much less typing.

It also moved 57GB in less than 5 minutes, so I'm sure it didn't go through my computer or over the network. (Edit: It was much closer to instantly, but as I said the GUI slowed it down initially trying to keep the progress bar updated. Once I force closed it, it was almost an instant move.)

Status
Not open for further replies.