How can I move files between two datasets under the same pool in TrueNAS?

ashwinkumar

Cadet
I have two datasets named "newnew" and "sharenew" under the same pool named "CBENAS". Yesterday, I tried to move all the files from the "sharenew" dataset to the "newnew" dataset using the "mv" command over the TrueNAS shell. However, in the middle of moving the data, the process was interrupted due to no space left. I am sure that I had plenty of space in both datasets before moving the files, but now the TrueNAS pools section shows zero space.

What should I do to move files between two datasets under the same pool, and how can I delete that empty dataset after moving the files? Someone kindly help me
here i attached command output images of zpool list -v & zfs list
truenas 1.JPG
truenas 2.JPG
truenas 3.JPG
truenas 4.JPG

artlessknave

Wizard
you likely have snapshots taking up the space.
if you have file1 in snapshot1 on dataset1, and move file1 to dataset2, it will take space in both dataset1 and dataset2

why are you moving all the files? could you just rename the dataset?

Glorious1

Guru
I have two datasets named "newnew" and "sharenew" under the same pool named "CBENAS". Yesterday, I tried to move all the files from the "sharenew" dataset to the "newnew" dataset using the "mv" command over the TrueNAS shell. However, in the middle of moving the data, the process was interrupted due to no space left. I am sure that I had plenty of space in both datasets before moving the files, but now the TrueNAS pools section shows zero space.

What should I do to move files between two datasets under the same pool, and how can I delete that empty dataset after moving the files? Someone kindly help me
here i attached command output images of zpool list -v & zfs list
I don't see a dataset "sharenew" in CBENAS or anywehere else in your images, so I'm confused. You sound like you have both datasets under CBENAS, and trying to move files from sharenew to newnew.

Also, it looks like CBENAS has no space available. It's not clear why, but that's a bad situation. Your second image shows no snapshots. Look carefully at the root dataset and sub-dataset settings to see if you have a quota or something reserving all that space.