Copying files between datasets (General question, no real issue)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyGrey

Dabbler
I understand the most efficient way to copy files between datasets is through SSH using mv or send/recv commands, but nothing beats the pure convenience of drag and drop in Windows (subjective opinion!), which brings me to a general question:

Why are moves happening so fast via Windows? I was under the impression that copying and moving files between datasets on the same FreeNAS machine via a Windows rig would cut my theoretical transfer speeds in half. What I mean is I figured the data would be traveling to the Windows machine, then back to the new dataset on the FreeNAS box. My specific use case: transferring (moving, not copying) a finished torrent from /mnt/Tank/Torrents/Finished/ to /mnt/Tank/Media/Movies (The parent folders on each of these datasets are separate Samba shares.) I'm getting about 132-160mb/s transfer speeds dragging and dropping, which is actually beyond gigabit. I was expecting 30-40 mb/s. Is it Windows 10 or the SMB service on FreeNAS that's being "smart" about this transfer? Or am I thinking about this all wrong?

This is just something that sparked my curiosity!

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
It's interesting, because it should be slower, not as slow as you were thinking, but 128 ish MB/s is the theoretical maximum for 1Gb networks.
Can you give more details about your specific configuration?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
PS. There is a thing in FreeNAS called Midnight Commander that would do the copy internal to the NAS.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

JohnnyGrey

Dabbler
The specs for both my Windows machine and my FreeNAS box are expandable in my signature. Since they might not be visible via Mobile and/or Tapatalk, I'll paste them at the end. Some minor hardware might have changed, but overall it's the same.

/mnt/Tank/Torrents/Finished is it's own dataset, and has its own SMB share

/mnt/Tank/Media/Movies is also it's own dataset, and has its own SMB share

All I'm doing is moving files between explorer windows on my Windows machine. I was just shocked it was this fast.

The transfer in question. I have blocked out the filename to avoid any issues.
index.php

Copying the file between datasets, again via Windows, is still just as fast. Copying the file to my Windows desktop caps at 113 mb/s, which is much more realistic given the gigabit ethernet max. Moving the file back, but to the destination dataset hits the same maximum. So it indeed looks like nothing is actually traveling to the Windows machine when copying files between datasets, even though that's where the transfer is initiated from.

FreeNAS:
Case: Fractal Design Node 804
PSU: Antec Earthwatts 380w Green
MOBO: SuperMicro MBD-X11SSH-F-O
CPU: Intel Core i3 6100T w/ Stock Cooler
O/S Drive: 32gb Cruzer Fit
Storage: 8x 2TB Seagate Ironwolf
RAID: ZFS RaidZ3

Windows:
Case: Corsair Air 240
PSU: BFG EX1200
MOBO: ASUS Maximus V Gene
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @stock clocks
GPU: PNY Geforce 960
O/S Drive: 250GB MyDigitalSSD BP4 mSATA SSD
Storage:
Games SSD: 256gb Samsung 830 Series SSD
Games HDD: 3TB Hitachi Ultrastar
Storage: 2x WD Red 2TB (Data is being migrated to NAS)

Attachments

• tempsnip.png
    tempsnip.png
    24 KB · Views: 402

sretalla