Failed to sync OFFICIAL catalog

flight44

Cadet
Hi all. No matter what I do, the app catalog won't load on TrueNAS SCALE beta. It used to load after the initial SCALE installation, then at somepoint, it randomly stopped. The network hasn't changed at all. It's connected to a semi-managed switch (nothing special is set), which is connected to an ISP provided router.
I cannot even ping google from the Shell. Nothing else is having connection issues on my network. Tried changing DNS servers from ISP provided to Google, didn't make a difference. Also swapped the cable to a different NIC (both of them are built in on a Supermicro board). Anybody had similar issues?
Here is the error message that comes up in notifications:
Failed to sync OFFICIAL catalog: [EFAULT] Failed to clone 'https://github.com/truenas/charts.git' repository at '/mnt/Main/ix-applications/catalogs/github_com_truenas_charts_git_master' destination: Cmd('git') failed due to: exit code(128) cmdline: git clone -v https://github.com/truenas/charts.git /mnt/Main/ix-applications/catalogs/github_com_truenas_charts_git_master stderr: 'Cloning into '/mnt/Main/ix-applications/catalogs/github_com_truenas_charts_git_master'... fatal: unable to access 'https://github.com/truenas/charts.git/': Could not resolve host: github.com '
2021-07-06 18:15:41 (Europe/London)

ornias

Wizard
DNS or network issues for sure.
(That does NOT mean your network or DNS are having issues, it just highlights where the issue is occuring ;-) )

Try a reboot, i've that fix weird DNS issues with TrueNAS before.

flight44

Cadet
DNS or network issues for sure.
(That does NOT mean your network or DNS are having issues, it just highlights where the issue is occuring ;-) )

Try a reboot, i've that fix weird DNS issues with TrueNAS before.
I just don't get what is wrong. Literally everything else on my network works fine, except TrueNAS right now. I'll try putting it on DHCP and see what happens.

trivi

Cadet
I just don't get what is wrong. Literally everything else on my network works fine, except TrueNAS right now. I'll try putting it on DHCP and see what happens.
Did you find a solution? After updating to RC2 I have the same issue.

Octipus

Cadet
yeah! same issue after updating to RC2. Triewd restarting but no luck - any help would be much appreciated

trivi

Cadet
yeah! same issue after updating to RC2. Triewd restarting but no luck - any help would be much appreciated
I can't ping google.com from the shell, so I think my truenas does not reach the internet. But my VMs and apps do have access to the internet.

EDIT:
I had to add my router-IP as DNS manually in the network settings and now everything works fine. Not sure why it worked without DNS configured in RC1 and not in RC2 (I think it shouldn't have worked in RC1 with my configuration). It is very hard to understand for me why and how I have to setup the network settings so everything works.

Last edited:

andre1981

Cadet
I can't ping google.com from the shell, so I think my truenas does not reach the internet. But my VMs and apps do have access to the internet.

EDIT:
I had to add my router-IP as DNS manually in the network settings and now everything works fine. Not sure why it worked without DNS configured in RC1 and not in RC2 (I think it shouldn't have worked in RC1 with my configuration). It is very hard to understand for me why and how I have to setup the network settings so everything works.
Thank you @trivi! Updating the DNS worked for me too.

After installation, it picked up my local DNS server (pi-hole) IPs but apparently did not like it. I changed it to Google DNS nameservers and it worked fine. Your mileage may vary a little depending on your network setup.

Bryon Brinkmann

Explorer
So I'm having the same issue with DNS. I actually use a VM as my firewall and ALL the VM's have access to the internet. I've changed my DNS for the local firewall DNS to google's same issue. Everything worked great up until this morning. Scale RC2 and I love it so far. I have a second Scale system but it does not have the WAN interface. Power cycled it and still not like me.

Server A
eno1 - 192.168.1.110/24 -10G ISCI-Volume
eno1 --Not used
en03 - 192.168.168.110/24 -Management/internet interface
eno4 - 10.0.0.4 - WAN Interface

Server B
eno1 - 192.168.1.50/24 -10G ISCI-Volume
eno1 --Not used
en03 - 192.168.168.50/24 -Management/internet interface
eno4 -Not used

tarheelbandb

Cadet
For the visual learners.
1644504345313.png

plastic1982

Cadet
I am having this issue on an otherwise working install of TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.1. I have tried the advice in this thread, but I can't seem to resolve it with any of the advice. I set my nameservers to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. My default gateway is correctly set to my router IP. I have VMs running which can access the internet, so I do not think its a larger networking problem. Does anyone have any other ideas for setting up a connection for my applications? If it helps, I have additional onboard NICs on my system I could use. The error I am getting, as well as my networking interface is attached as screenshots. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Attachments

• Screenshot (8).jpg
    Screenshot (8).jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 1,443
  • Screenshot (9).png
    Screenshot (9).png
    14.1 KB · Views: 1,319

HunorR

Dabbler
I am having this issue on an otherwise working install of TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.1. I have tried the advice in this thread, but I can't seem to resolve it with any of the advice. I set my nameservers to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. My default gateway is correctly set to my router IP. I have VMs running which can access the internet, so I do not think its a larger networking problem. Does anyone have any other ideas for setting up a connection for my applications? If it helps, I have additional onboard NICs on my system I could use. The error I am getting, as well as my networking interface is attached as screenshots. Thanks for any help you can provide.
i have the same issue with failed due to: exit code(128) cmdline. I did not change anything it was working fine until today. I have no idea what's the problem here.

" Failed to sync TRUECHARTS catalog: [EFAULT] Failed to clone 'https://github.com/truecharts/catalog' repository at '/mnt/VM_Datastore/ix-applications/catalogs/github_com_truecharts_catalog_main' destination: Cmd('git') failed due to: exit code(128) cmdline: git clone -v https://github.com/truecharts/catalog /mnt/VM_Datastore/ix-applications/catalogs/github_com_truecharts_catalog_main stderr: 'Cloning into '/mnt/VM_Datastore/ix-applications/catalogs/github_com_truecharts_catalog_main'... POST git-upload-pack (164 bytes) POST git-upload-pack (517 bytes) fatal: unable to open /mnt/VM_Datastore/ix-applications/catalogs/github_com_truecharts_catalog_main/.git/objects/pack/tmp_pack_TUkPDb: No such file or directory fatal: index-pack failed ' "

jbarranco

Dabbler
i have the same issue with failed due to: exit code(128) cmdline. I did not change anything it was working fine until today. I have no idea what's the problem here.

" Failed to sync TRUECHARTS catalog: [EFAULT] Failed to clone 'https://github.com/truecharts/catalog' repository at '/mnt/VM_Datastore/ix-applications/catalogs/github_com_truecharts_catalog_main' destination: Cmd('git') failed due to: exit code(128) cmdline: git clone -v https://github.com/truecharts/catalog /mnt/VM_Datastore/ix-applications/catalogs/github_com_truecharts_catalog_main stderr: 'Cloning into '/mnt/VM_Datastore/ix-applications/catalogs/github_com_truecharts_catalog_main'... POST git-upload-pack (164 bytes) POST git-upload-pack (517 bytes) fatal: unable to open /mnt/VM_Datastore/ix-applications/catalogs/github_com_truecharts_catalog_main/.git/objects/pack/tmp_pack_TUkPDb: No such file or directory fatal: index-pack failed ' "

Did you figure this out? I'm getting the same error on TrueNAS-SCALE-22.02.3 and restarting my entire network hasn't made anything happier. Removed my pihole dns, only using what dhcp uses which is 8.8.8.8 and no static IPs being set

UPDATE - I found a week later that a router in bridge mode assigned itself to my PiHole DNS so removing it was actually the main cause of my headaches.

When in doubt, the issue is DNS

Last edited:

Bikerchris

Patron

sking0379

Cadet
What if one continues to get those errors despite the fact that TrueNas Scale is able to ping out to the internet without issues or errors..?

Bikerchris

Patron
To be honest @sking0379 , I've decided to delete the the catalog for the time being. I have tried changing many settings, re-adding the catalog, double checking my previously unchanged settings to no avail. I'm fortunate in that I only used it for JellyFin, but it's far from a deal breaker. There are still a few things I haven't tried, but it would be bizarre if they were to blame.

sking0379

Cadet
The strangest part for me is that the Official Charts do work just fine, but not Truecharts.

1678463223451.png