Factory Reset Bug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
So, as part of my saga with the LAGG (see separate thread), I went as far as performing a factory reset, thinking I had perhaps misconfigured the interfaces at the command line.

It would be great if the "factory reset" affected the underlying FreeBSD as well. That is, also reset the various configuration files in the OS to their factory-default state. Or reimport it altogether.

As best as I can tell, FreeBSD is left untouched as part of the reset process. For example, if you hit the up arrow on the keyboard, all previously-typed commands come up.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'm not sure what is reset when the "factory reset" is enabled but I suspect it's just configuration information. I think to get what you want it would be a clean install. You could submit a feature/bug report on this if you like.

Redcoat

MVP

joeschmuck

Old Man
He is refering to General -> Factory Restore button I assume. Dang, I made another assumption.

Redcoat

MVP
Oh yes! You know, I don't think I ever "noticed" that before...
Thx.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I've never used it. The one time I used this feature was from the console window and it was many years ago.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Yup, that’s the one... in other NAS’ hitting that button resets everything. It’s a very convenient feature, in case you want to sell or give away a NAS.

For example, it would be great to know that ssh keys are nuked as part of a factory reset!

joeschmuck

Old Man
Yup, that’s the one... in other NAS’ hitting that button resets everything. It’s a very convenient feature, in case you want to sell or give away a NAS.

For example, it would be great to know that ssh keys are nuked as part of a factory reset!
I understand your example.

If I were to give away or sell my FreeNAS unit I'd run badblocks on the drives and print that data out to prove the drives worked, and then I'd rebuild the FreeNAS install and if desired, perform a basic configuration for the new user. This would ensure that you leave behind any personal data and ensure the new user would have some faith in the hardware.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
I've filed a big report on this requesting either a more thorough initialization in line with user expectations based on the description of the feature or a better description in the UI to warn users that only the FreeNAS config files will be changed. At least that way, UI users will be warned about remaining sensitive information being at risk.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I've filed a big report on this requesting either a more thorough initialization in line with user expectations based on the description of the feature or a better description in the UI to warn users that only the FreeNAS config files will be changed. At least that way, UI users will be warned about remaining sensitive information being at risk.
I don't think they will approve of this since the User Guide already states this below, not trying to argue with you, I just don't think they will do anything other than say it's already covered:
Factory Restore: reset the configuration database to the default base version. However, this does not delete user SSH keys or any other data stored in a user’s home directory. Since any configuration changes stored in the configuration database will be erased, this option is useful when a mistake has been made or to return a test system to the original configuration.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
LOL. You're right, they likely will.

Maybe I should just submit a feature request that a actual factory reset be done, i.e. wipe and reinitialize the OS, just like Synology does. When you return a Synology to factory settings, the whole operating system is re-installed.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I think a feature request sounds more appropriate and it may actually get accomplished someday.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
Thanks so much for your insights. Changed my bug ticket to a feature request.

Do you know of any good documentation I could follow to reinitialize FreeBSD on my SATADOM?

Or do I have to start with a disk wipe, followed by the re-installation of the FreeBSD/FreeNAS package?

joeschmuck

Old Man
Do you know of any good documentation I could follow to reinitialize FreeBSD on my SATADOM?
Nope, not FreeBSD, I'm not an expert but I would think that if you have FreeBSD installed and you have configured or installed some software, that data would remain there unless you manually removed it all. If this is FreeNAS then the Factory Restore would be the closest thing.

You might need to explain what you mean by reinitialize because what it means to me may not be the same as what it means you you. But if you are thinking a reinstall of FreeBSD then I think you could be correct.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
My best way forward may be to acquire a 32GB SATADOM and start over. Then I'd have a spare and wouldn't risk turning my NAS into a large paperweight due to my inexperience. Thanks again!

EDIT: Well, looks like our friends at Supermicro have priced their 32GB models higher on amazon than the 64GB model. Weird! So... bought the bigger one. Add a USB stick with the installer and I'll hopefully be in business.

PS: Consider sleeping with that NAS under your bed. Might make a good multi-use application i.e., heating blanket, white noise generator, and (bonus!) data server. Might help with the wintertime cold.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.