Extremely low transfer speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

doutatsu

Dabbler
Hello everyone!

I've just built my first NAS machine and have been struggling with a couple of things, but the main thing so far has been slow transfer speed. I've looked at various forum threads here, but still couldn't solve it.

I am using a CAT5e cable, so that should not be the problem. I am using WD Red disks which should have fast enough read/write speeds I'd imagine. Here is my build.

I've run a perf test and here are the results. As you can see it doesn't even hit 100 Mbps...

JxvUY7a.jpg

Dice

Wizard
What's the NIC?

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
If I am correct this has "Dual Intel® Gigabit LAN". Per:
https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z370M-ITXac/#Specification

Just also figure I would mention it shows:
- Supports DDR4 4000+(OC)* / 3866(OC) / 3800(OC) / 3733(OC) / 3600(OC) / 3200(OC) / 2933(OC) / 2800(OC) / 2666 / 2400 / 2133 non-ECC, un-buffered memory
- Supports ECC UDIMM memory modules (operate in non-ECC mode)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I am using a CAT5e cable, so that should not be the problem.
Never trust a cable. Most of the time, networking problems are caused by bad cables. Most of them worked fine right up until they didn't.

doutatsu

Dabbler
Never trust a cable. Most of the time, networking problems are caused by bad cables. Most of them worked fine right up until they didn't.
Yup, that's what I read in other posts, so I tried different cables, I used them with and without the switch. No change whatsoever
What's the NIC?

You mean on the motherboard?

- Gigabit LAN 10/100/1000 Mb/s
- 1 x Giga PHY Intel® I219V, 1 x GigaLAN Intel® I211AT
- Supports Wake-On-LAN
- Supports Lightning/ESD Protection
- Supports Dual LAN with Teaming*
- Supports Energy Efficient Ethernet 802.3az
- Supports PXE

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

doutatsu

Dabbler
It is recommended to use ECC. Please refer to the "Recommended Reading" links in my sig; namely the one pertaining to "Hardware recommendations (read this first)". Just basically providing some guidance. ;)

Ah, of course. I've read plenty on that and while it is recommended, from my research it didn't seem like it was worth the increased price for a simple media server, where redundancy is appreciated but is not of highest priority to me.

pro lamer

Guru
a simple media server
Curious: why FreeNAS then? Is it because FreeBSD is told to be/known to be secure in terms of attacks?

EDIT:
On the other hand: isn't FreeBSD told to support less hardware than other operating systems? <- off topic

Last edited:

doutatsu

Dabbler
Curious: why FreeNAS then? Is it because FreeBSD is told to be/known to be secure in terms of attacks?

EDIT:
On the other hand: isn't FreeBSD told to support less hardware than other operating systems? <- off topic

Why FreeBSD? I've only heard a bit about it, but FreeNAS is famous to be a number 1 choice for NAS and media servers. Having ZFS was a big boon and just generally I've been recommended it a lot, so didn't even consider other options.

doutatsu

Dabbler
Still hoping to get some help on this, I have no idea what else I can do. I saw a similar thread with similar problems and with my perf results, it seems like it is a networking problem? Would really appreciate some ideas on what I can try to diagnose further or things I could fix?

Stux

MVP
Directly connect server to the client with no switch in the way. Verify results in each direction.

doutatsu

Dabbler
Ok, so I did something else, as I couldn't figure out how to connect directly from PC to NAS. But based on other places, some recommended to just connect the NAS directly into the router... And voila, my speeds 1092 MBytes Transfer, 916 Mbits/sec Bandwidth

Status
Not open for further replies.