Extremely slow CIFS transfer speeds, yet again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

squidding

Cadet
Hey everyone,

First, let me apologize for creating a thread on a subject that has been discussed hundreds of times. I searched through the forums repeatedly, but couldn't find a solution directly to my problem (or at least, couldn't figure one out). Second, I want to apologize again for being a ridiculous novice when it comes to anything network related. I know that my problem is going to end up being embarrassingly silly, but I don't know where else to turn to remedy my extremely limited knowledge.

FreeNAS box specs:
AMD A6-5400K Trinity 3.6GHz
ASUS A85XM-A FM2 AMD A85X (Hudson D4)
Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)
(X2) Seagate 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5

PC
EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX X58 SLI LE Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i7-930 Bloomfield 2.8GHz
CORSAIR XMS3 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
EVGA 012-P3-1470-AR GeForce GTX 470

Router
WD My Net N900 HD Dual-Band Router - 7x Ports, 450 + 450 Mbps, 2x USB Ports, Dual-Band, 2.4/5 GHz

Basically, I built my first FreeNAS box, got everything installed and running (after a lot of trial and error), and setup CIFS to transfer files across my home network, but the transfer speeds are abysmally slow. As in, less than 1MB per second. Now, the PC I'm transferring files from over to the server is not hard lined. I know that wireless internet is garbage, and that this will significantly cut the speed down, but it shouldn't be THIS drastic should it? I suspect that my speed issues are a result of the wireless internet, the LAN speed of the mobo in the FreeNAS box, and potentially my home router (which the box is connected to with a cat6 cable). I'm open to replacing any hardware I need to, I just don't know where to begin or what to get.

As I mentioned earlier, I'm a complete amateur when it comes to anything Network related... So please bare with my ignorance. I am willing to try/consider anything to fix these speed issues so long as you can walk me through what I need to do and how to do it (this goes for running any tests as well).

Thanks in advance for your time and your understanding! I'm eagerly awaiting any and all potential help, as I would love to get this NAS up and running properly as soon as possible.

rm-r

Contributor

rm-r

Contributor
oh and i just re-read this is over wifi...... retry it with a cable - wifi is never a fair or accurate measure of this type of thing

squidding

Cadet
Hey there,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post! So, if I throw a new (appropriate) network card into the NASbox, and I hard line the PC I'm transferring from, I'm guessing things will probably speed up then. As far as ECC ram, I'll keep that in mind for the future but If I cannot easily incorporate that into this build without getting a new MOBO or what not, I may have to wait on it. Hopefully it doesn't matter too much for my general storage applications.

I will make some changes and post back here with the results!

Thanks again!

rm-r

Contributor
get an intel NIC, much better for freenas, you could try with the NIC that's in there - i had very bad results with realtek though, very unreliable

if you care about what you are storing then ECC is required, family photos / videos is why i got it - you cant replace those - and without ECC you wont know its corrupted until you want to view it.

Status
Not open for further replies.