Transfer speed at 30mb/s

Status
Not open for further replies.

pronester

Cadet
Hello guys,

I managed to build a NAS system recently. It works well and quite stable i.e no data loss and what not. However, I would like to know is it normal that the transfer speed lingering around 30mbps (regardless of the file size).

I am using wireless router capable of 1gbps, cat6 cables which all are working fine. Maybe there is any tweak that has to be made to the system so that the speed can be up to 1gbps.

My NAS specification is as below:

Build| FreeNAS-9.10.2-U6
Platform| Intel® Xeon® CPU E3-1230 @ 3.20GHz
Motherboard| Intel S1200BTL ATX Server Motherboard
Memory| 16077MB DDR3 ECC 1333MHz
Storage| RAID-Z1 with 2x Western Digital Blue 2TB + 1x Samsung 2TB
PSU| Seasonic M12ll Bronze Modular 620W

A point to note that I am still learning about NAS aka newbie here.

Appreciate your response here and please help!

Thank you

pronester

Dice

Wizard
Hello.

This usually is related to a lack of free space on your pool. How much have you used?
Have you burned in your drives, ie, made sure they do not show any weaknesses that would cause a slow transfer speed? It is sufficient to have one of your drives behaving slowly to put your pool to a crawl.
Have a look here:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/solnet-array-test.1/

pronester

Cadet
Hello.

This usually is related to a lack of free space on your pool. How much have you used?
Have you burned in your drives, ie, made sure they do not show any weaknesses that would cause a slow transfer speed? It is sufficient to have one of your drives behaving slowly to put your pool to a crawl.
Have a look here:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/solnet-array-test.1/
It is just about 10% of the total pool. Just to note, all hardware are gigabit certified.

I am thinking of getting a switch just to test if the existing router may be slowing the transfer speed.

thanks for the reply by the way. i'll check out the link.

Dice

Wizard
I am thinking of getting a switch just to test if the existing router may be slowing the transfer speed.
Way too many consumer routers only feature a single Gbit port, while the rest are limited to 100Mbit.
That, in conjunction with a cable problem could easily turn down your speed.

I'd suggest the following course of action - attempt to validate network speed through your setup before you start looking for problems in FreeNAS specifically.

pronester

Cadet
Way too many consumer routers only feature a single Gbit port, while the rest are limited to 100Mbit.
That, in conjunction with a cable problem could easily turn down your speed.

I'd suggest the following course of action - attempt to validate network speed through your setup before you start looking for problems in FreeNAS specifically.

i will recheck all the setup

pronester

Cadet
Hello guys,

Just an update.

I bought a new D-Link Gigabit switch and connect to the wireless router. So now all computer setup i.e the NAS system, computer desktop and HTPC are connected to the new switch.

AND guess what? I managed to get up to 100mbps transfer speed! So it's the wireless router that limits the network speed at 30mbps all this while, though it has gigabit connection speed. BTW, I am so happy with it as no more stuttering videos while watching big size movies/blu ray through the HTPC.

The Switch: D-Link DGS-1005A (5-port gigabit switch, full duplex for gigabit speed)
All LAN cables: Cat6 RJ45

Status
Not open for further replies.