Very low transfer speed on 1Gb Intel NIC

jamesgeorge

Cadet
Hello everyone, I am very new to the NAS philosophy but I managed to make a system out of the following components.

Motherboard: Asrock H370 Pro4
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-8100 CPU @ 3.60GHz
Network Adapter: INTEL(R) Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter
Power Supply: Corsair VS450

My issue is regarding the file transfer speed between the server and the rest of the computers within the network, first of all since I started to build the server I replaced all the switches in the home network with 1Gb and all the wires from and to all the devices with CAT6 and the server is connected directly with a CAT6 cable to a switch. The network adapter indicator light on the server is yellow which indicates that it has a 1Gb connection, but when I try to send files from and to the server I only get maximum of 17-23MiB/s. I will also provide a screenshot of the dashboard while I try to transfer a file to give more information. Could anyone enlighten me on how to increase my transfer speeds?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-04-01 at 1.27.24 AM.png
    Screenshot 2022-04-01 at 1.27.24 AM.png
    937.9 KB · Views: 228

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Try some basic debugging with iperf3 to help you isolate where the problem may be.

jamesgeorge

Cadet
Try some basic debugging with iperf3 to help you isolate where the problem may be.
I read about iperf3 but I am not familiar on how to isolate the source of the problem, is there any tutorial or guidance on that?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Yeah. You run it on two machines, pointing one at the other, and see if you get 900Mbits-1000Mbits of connectivity. Then you reverse it. This helps rule out your networking, fake cards, crummy Realteks, bad switches, 100Mbps inadvertent links, etc., as problems.

jamesgeorge

Cadet
Yeah. You run it on two machines, pointing one at the other, and see if you get 900Mbits-1000Mbits of connectivity. Then you reverse it. This helps rule out your networking, fake cards, crummy Realteks, bad switches, 100Mbps inadvertent links, etc., as problems.
I see I did a quick test with another program that I have on my Mac and the results where far from the real speeds that I am getting, I will attach the screenshots on two of my drives. I have installed the iperf3 on the terminal app of Mac but I don't know how to install it on the server in order to make it listen so I can do the test. Do you know how to install it?

Attachments

• Master speed test.png
    Master speed test.png
    146.9 KB · Views: 229
  • Skynet.png
    Skynet.png
    145.7 KB · Views: 234