Every update from 10.0.4 to 11 Fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

LightestDawn

Dabbler
Hello,

I am currently on FreeNas 10.0.4 or 10.4, and I'm trying to update to FreeNas 11 STABLE. Everytime I update, it applies it and then restarts, loads usb devices, and when it tries to connect to the database:

It says:
Code:
/data/freenas-v1.db unable to open database file
then a whole bunch of
Code:
Error: ____ (table name) does not exist

Then it has a whole bunch more errors finishing in:
Code:
KeyError: getpwuid(): uid not found: 0
init: getty repeating too quickly on port /dev/tty0. sleeping 30 secs
and it just repeats that until I shut it off.

If I restart and select Boot Environments I can get back into Corral, but I would prefer to fix the issue at hand.

Redcoat

MVP

LightestDawn

Dabbler
I had already read that.

Maybe I misunderstand but I don't see where it mentions anything about the database in their.

joeschmuck

Old Man
You cannot upgrade from Coral as far as I know. Remember that Coral died quite a long time ago and stopped being supported.

Dang, @Readcoat beat me, but glad you posted the link.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I had already read that.

Maybe I misunderstand but I don't see where it mentions anything about the database in their.
Are Corral config backups compatible with FreeNAS 9.10 or FreeNAS 11?
No, they are not compatible. The database formats are completely different.
This also means that changing trains from Corral to FreeNAS 9.10 or 11 will not work. The system may fail to boot and will have to be reconfigured, either from an existing 9.x config backup or from scratch.

The freenas-v1.db is the configuration file.

LightestDawn

Dabbler
I somehow completely missed that. So I can't upgrade then because I was never on FreeNas 9.x I started on 10.

If I reinstall over it with FreeNas 11 will I still have my data? What will I have to recreate? Just the Users, Shares, etc. Feel free to point me to another post if you don't want to explain, I haven't been able to find much for FreeNas Support.

Redcoat

MVP
As I understand it you need to import your data into 9.10.2 and update to 11 from there. These are the steps identified here in the linked document:

I want to move back to 9.10, can I just roll back to the previous boot environment?
Yes, if you meet the following conditions:
  • You did not create any datasets with Windows permissions with a build of Corral from March or later and did not manually enable aclmode=discard_chmod for any datasets. If you did, see below.
  • You did not upgrade your pools after the update to Corral. You can check this by running zpool status from the Unix shell. If you're offered to upgrade the pool, you're good to go! If not, see below.
  • You are not using Docker. If you are, see below.
  • You did not make major changes to your setup (completely new users, for instance). If you did, start a new thread, explain your situation, and we'll try to help you.

My 9.10 install is gone!

Don't worry, your data is safe. If you have your old 9.10 config backed-up, just upload it after installing 9.10.2. If not, you'll just have to reconfigure FreeNAS. I recommend you assign the same User and Group IDs as you were using before, to make the transition smoother. Use your current FreeNAS Corral config to guide you.

I never used 9.10!
I upgraded my pool!

Well, that complicates things a little bit. FreeNAS Corral uses FreeBSD 11, which adds support for some ZFS features not available in FreeBSD 10, which 9.10.2 uses. FreeNAS 9.10.3 will be based on FreeBSD 11 and will allow you to import your pool. You can either wait for the Release, scheduled for May, or try out the nightlies.
Good news! FreeBSD 11 only adds two feature flags: sha512 and skein for checksumming and dedup. Most users will not have actually used these in any dataset, so they should still be marked as "enabled", so pools that were either upgraded or created in Corral will mostly just import in 9.10.2. If you actually used either of these feature flags, you most likely knew what you were getting yourself into.

As I recall there are other threads from folk who went through the process, so if you get stuck some more searching might get you the help you need.

Redcoat

MVP
If I reinstall over it with FreeNas 11 will I still have my data? What will I have to recreate? Just the Users, Shares, etc. Feel free to point me to another post if you don't want to explain, I haven't been able to find much for FreeNas Support.

Sounds like you are starting here:

I never used 9.10!
I upgraded my pool!

Well, that complicates things a little bit. FreeNAS Corral uses FreeBSD 11, which adds support for some ZFS features not available in FreeBSD 10, which 9.10.2 uses. FreeNAS 9.10.3 will be based on FreeBSD 11 and will allow you to import your pool. You can either wait for the Release, scheduled for May, or try out the nightlies.
Good news! FreeBSD 11 only adds two feature flags: sha512 and skein for checksumming and dedup. Most users will not have actually used these in any dataset, so they should still be marked as "enabled", so pools that were either upgraded or created in Corral will mostly just import in 9.10.2. If you actually used either of these feature flags, you most likely knew what you were getting yourself into.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Here is what I'd do if I were you...

1) Backup all your data or at least your important data. While your data should be safe during this process, it's better to be safe than sorry.
2) You have not provided a list of your hardware per the forum rules which would help me provide you some definative steps so I'll assume that you are using a USB Flash device as the boot drive.
3) Backup your configuration file.
4) Shut down FreeNAS.
5) Remove the USB Flash drive and place it to the side for safe keeping.
6) Configure a new USB Flash drive with FreeNAS 11.0-U4.

WARNING: Do Not Upgrade your pool/vdev to the new ZFS, just checkmark the box and ignore it, you don't need the new feature flags. This will also allow you to go back to Coral if this fails.

7) Import your Volume.

All your data should be available and you will need to create shares and such. You will need to reconfigure quite a bit of your system and you likely will loose the jails but you can go in and backup that data as well so when you reinstall the jails or VMs you can restore the data you need. Honestly, I'd just start over from scratch and build up new jails and VMs as desired.

Status
Not open for further replies.