Error: 12.2-RELEASE was not found!

shellon

Cadet
Hello! When installing any plugin from the Community collection, an error occurs: "Error: 12.2-RELEASE was not found!"
Installing from the iXsystems collection is ok.
What could be the problem?

Attachments

• truenas.png
    truenas.png
    80.6 KB · Views: 445

darylk

Cadet
Fresh install same issue. First time trying truenas core. Unimpressive to have non functioning top level item.

pkg update in a shell produces more errors but control and insert not working for copying and pasting here.

laush

Cadet
The same issue,

root@truenas[/]# iocage fetch
[0] 12.3-RELEASE
[1] 13.0-RELEASE

Type the number of the desired RELEASE
Press [Enter] to fetch the default selection: (12.2-RELEASE)
Type EXIT to quit:
[0] 12.3-RELEASE
[1] 13.0-RELEASE

root@truenas[/]# uname -a
FreeBSD truenas.local 12.2-RELEASE-p14 FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE-p14 325282c09a5(HEAD) TRUENAS amd64

danb35

Hall of Famer
pkg update in a shell produces more errors
That's to be expected, you shouldn't be running pkg on the TrueNAS system.
control and insert not working for copying and pasting here.
That's also to be expected; if you're using the Shell button from the GUI for anything that would benefit from copy/paste, you're doing it wrong--enable SSH and use that instead.

Same here. I just updated from FreeNas 11.3 to TrueNAS CORE 12.0-U8.1 today. I was able to move everything over including my plugins like Emby. I figured I would go ahead and uninstall Emby and reinstall the newer version available. But I am getting "Error: 12.2-RELEASE was not found!," whether I install it from the Plugins menu or the Shell.
1650149544387.png

It seems that iXsystems Collection works with no issues, I was able to install Plex successfully with no issues.

Unfortunately experiencing the same issue and can't seem to find any details on it either.
New to TrueNas also.

TylerT

Cadet
Having the same issue.

iocage fetch does not show 12.2 as an option to download.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Unfortunately, this is due to upstream FreeBSD setting EoL on 12.2-RELEASE on 31 March 2022.

As a work-around, try iocage fetch --server ftp-archive.freebsd.org --root-dir /pub/FreeBSD-Archive/old-releases/amd64/.

TylerT

Cadet
Samuel,

Thank you very much, that was what I needed!!! tried something similar a few times but was not sure of the proper format. You are my savior!

shellon

Cadet
Unfortunately, this is due to upstream FreeBSD setting EoL on 12.2-RELEASE on 31 March 2022.

As a work-around, try iocage fetch --server ftp-archive.freebsd.org --root-dir /pub/FreeBSD-Archive/old-releases/amd64/.
Thank you! Everything worked out!

TrueNAS Core 12.0-U8 yields this: 12.2-RELEASE-p12

Is it important to match the iocage jail with the currently running FreeBSD version?

I've read around that it's encouraged to keep them on the same release, yet what is the practical consequence of using a mis-match of versions?

What risks are there if TrueNAS sits atop FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE, yet my iocage jails are on 12.3-RELEASE?

(I haven't done this yet, which is why I'm asking for the sake of caution.)

srsobieraj

Cadet
Given this is a work-around, what's the long term fix? Wait for ix to upgrade our version of FreeBSD to 12.3/13.x in a future CORE 12.1 or U9 release?

I'm guessing also at some point we'll need to revert the fetch server back to 'default', just wondering when that'd be.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Wait for ix to upgrade our version of FreeBSD to 12.3/13.x in a future CORE 12.1 or U9 release?
I think instead it would be "wait for iX to upgrade in CORE 13.0"--which is going to be in RC in a few days, IIRC.

SimpleTechGuy

Dabbler

Thanks for the tip, just one Quick question, does this command download all versions in the archive or do I need to specify 12.2-RELEASE at the end like this:

iocage fetch --server ftp-archive.freebsd.org --root-dir /pub/FreeBSD-Archive/old-releases/amd64/12.2-RELEASE

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Is it important to match the iocage jail with the currently running FreeBSD version?
Same kernel version yes, same release no. You can (I currently do) run 12.3 jails on a 12.2 base system as they run on the same kernel. You also can run older jails on a newer kernel version but not vice versa.

For example when FreeNAS 11.0 was released and you were running the previous stable version with some jails and upgraded your system you had 9.3 jails running on a 11.0 base system and they ran just fine. What you can't do with a current TrueNAS system which is based on FreeBSD 12.2 is run a 13.0 jail on it as 13.0 runs on a different and newer kernel than the base systems 12.2 does.

Last edited:

Samuel Tai

Thanks for the tip, just one Quick question, does this command download all versions in the archive or do I need to specify 12.2-RELEASE at the end like this:

iocage fetch --server ftp-archive.freebsd.org --root-dir /pub/FreeBSD-Archive/old-releases/amd64/12.2-RELEASE

No need to append the release. Just select 12.2-RELEASE in the menu.

Samuel Tai

I'm guessing also at some point we'll need to revert the fetch server back to 'default', just wondering when that'd be.

No reversion necessary. Unless you specify the --server and --root-dir parameters, iocage will use its built-in defaults.

Frostcanvas

Cadet
Same here. I just updated from FreeNas 11.3 to TrueNAS CORE 12.0-U8.1 today. I was able to move everything over including my plugins like Emby. I figured I would go ahead and uninstall Emby and reinstall the newer version available. But I am getting "Error: 12.2-RELEASE was not found!," whether I install it from the Plugins menu or the Shell.
View attachment 54815

It seems that iXsystems Collection works with no issues, I was able to install Plex successfully with no issues.
Did you or anyone find a answer to fix this issue?