Encrypted snapshot-based incremental backups

saludax

Cadet
Hi All

I have just read the following blog post in relation to ZFS and encryption at rest.

Encrypted snapshot-based incremental backups with OpenZFS on FreeBSD 12.2

In short, the post describes how ZFS encrypted datasets can be replicated to an untrusted backup server without handling unencrypted data. The approach appears to require OpenZFS 2.0 and FreeBSD 12.2 and the -w, --raw options for zfs send in OpenZFS.

I am interested to know whether this functionality (for clients ands servers) is supported in TrueNAS CORE 12 U1? If not, can anyone from the TrueNAS team comment on whether (and when) it will be supported in future?

Thank you,
Reuben

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

saludax

Cadet
Those are already the case with TrueNAS 12.0 U1.

Thanks for the reply. So I guess the foundations are there. However, I did not see anything in the TrueNAS replication documentation (local, remote or advanced) which resembles the -w (—raw) option for “send data exactly as it exists on disk”.

Anyone know if it’s supported?

However, I did not see anything in the TrueNAS replication documentation (local, remote or advanced) which resembles the -w (—raw) option for “send data exactly as it exists on disk”.
In the GUI I believe (though I might be mistaken) that the option "Include Dataset Properties" will invoke -w (raw) if it detects the source dataset is encrypted.