Emby Plugin update - always get stuck at 50%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gessi

Dabbler
Hello,

I am running Emby Plugin on my FreeNAS (latest 9.10 stable) and I was wondering why, not only for the Emby Plugin, an update always hangs at 50%?

What is the right way to do an update? Do you disable the plugin service first and unmount the storage(s) manually?

How about the Jail itself? I assume this must keep running?

I am a little bit concerned what is wrong with a plugin update process on FreeNAS and if this is common?

Attachments

• emby_plugin_update.png
    emby_plugin_update.png
    42.4 KB · Views: 481

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Yes, it is common. The PBI update process is pretty inefficient which makes plugins upgrades unreliable in FreeNAS.

Here's a method I have found reliable to upgrade plugins on FreeNAS. Even though it's more steps it is actually is much faster as well.
  • stop the emby plugin
  • upload another PBI (say sabnzbd) to the emby jail
  • delete the emby plugin
  • upload the latest update emby PBI to the emby jail
  • delete the other plugin (sabnzbd)
  • start the emby plugin
PBIs can be found here
http://download.freenas.org/plugins/9/x64/

ovizii

Patron
There is an easier way which has always worked for me and for any plugin which was not properly updating. I've gone so far as to not even try the automatic update anymore, I do it straight this way:

1. stop the emby plugin
  2. go to jails and upload the newest plugin (pbi) into the jail
  3. start emby

Done. Use the link Joshua gave to find the latest versions of the plugins.

mattbbpl

Patron
(Anxiously awaiting the updated jail system in FreeNAS 10)

venkavis

Explorer
How do you upload the latest plugin pbi into the jail??

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer

Shane_pcs

Dabbler
There is an easier way which has always worked for me and for any plugin which was not properly updating. I've gone so far as to not even try the automatic update anymore, I do it straight this way:

1. stop the emby plugin
  2. go to jails and upload the newest plugin (pbi) into the jail
  3. start emby

Done. Use the link Joshua gave to find the latest versions of the plugins.

I did this last night to upgrade to the latest emby version and for some reason it deleted all my Movies and TV shows that I had linked. Looking at the emby logs I see nothing about the deletion, only the database cleanup after the server was restarted due to item no longer there. Needless to say until I can fugure out what happened and insure it doesnt happen next upgrade I am shelving emby.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I did this last night to upgrade to the latest emby version and for some reason it deleted all my Movies and TV shows that I had linked. Looking at the emby logs I see nothing about the deletion, only the database cleanup after the server was restarted due to item no longer there. Needless to say until I can fugure out what happened and insure it doesnt happen next upgrade I am shelving emby.
I'd post the log on the emby forum.

mattbbpl

Patron
Wow, that is freakin' weird. Did it delete the media items themselves, or just the information for them from the Emby library?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
actually reading your post it says the items weren't there. are your media items still mounted into the jail? maybe during the upgrade your media dataset(s) were unmounted. make sure to mount these again before starting emby

mattbbpl

Patron
actually reading your post it says the items weren't there. are your media items still mounted into the jail? maybe during the upgrade your media dataset(s) were unmounted. make sure to mount these again before starting emby
Ah, that makes a ton of sense. It fits in perfectly with this statement: "Looking at the emby logs I see nothing about the deletion, only the database cleanup after the server was restarted due to item no longer there."

mattbbpl

Patron
Did you manage to find the root cause of this issue?

Shane_pcs

Dabbler
I did not. The directories were mounted, just everything wiped. Since I could not find anything in the actual Emby logs and I am convinced that it is something in the upgrade process. I have since restricted the media folders as mounted read only but that does limit some of the live tv stuff I plan to do in the future.

mattbbpl

Patron
I did not. The directories were mounted, just everything wiped. Since I could not find anything in the actual Emby logs and I am convinced that it is something in the upgrade process. I have since restricted the media folders as mounted read only but that does limit some of the live tv stuff I plan to do in the future.
Sorry to hear that. FWIW, I have the directories mounted as read-only as well (I wanted to ensure that the metadata didn't make it's way into the source directories, and it separates the data I care about from the data and code that's a little more free-wheeling). However, my clients that are served by Emby are Kodi based, and I use those clients for the PVR functions. Might be something worth looking into. It might meet your needs - depends on whether you need/want this function to be centralized or not.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I also do a read only mount, but am tempted to make it read write since Emby can delete stuff.
One this I do that may be helpful is have daily snapshots of my media dataset, so even if emby went haywire I could just revert.

mattbbpl

Patron
I also do a read only mount, but am tempted to make it read write since Emby can delete stuff.
One this I do that may be helpful is have daily snapshots of my media dataset, so even if emby went haywire I could just revert.
What functionality are you seeking to fulfill by allowing Emby to delete items? I'm curious if it's something I'd be interested in looking into.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
What functionality are you seeking to fulfill by allowing Emby to delete items? I'm curious if it's something I'd be interested in looking into.
In a system I recently setup for a family member. they don't plan on spending a lot on hard drives, so they want an easy way to delete movies they no longer want.

mattbbpl

Patron
Nevermind, not interested :tongue:

I manage the data itself via Windows Explorer. Managing the data that way is very easy since I already keep it organized for V-Chip like purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.