Emby plugin update best practice & Backup considerations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcet

Contributor
Hi all,

I'm wondering how to update Emby Plugin ?

If I look at the FreeNAS manual, if an update is available, I will find a button beside the plugin.
But Emby web server interface has a build in update feature.

Which one to choose ?

How can I backup my Emby Jail before update ? Should I snapshot ? or Both ?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Hi all,

I'm wondering how to update Emby Plugin ?

If I look at the FreeNAS manual, if an update is available, I will find a button beside the plugin.
But Emby web server interface has a build in update feature.

Which one to choose ?

How can I backup my Emby Jail before update ? Should I snapshot ? or Both ?
the button is the only way for the plugin. I believe the built in updater is only available on windows (where you really need it because there's no package manager).

make sure your media is on a dataset mounted into your jail, so even if your jail gets messed up your media is fine. setup snapshots for your media and if you want your jail. before an update, you can backup /var/db/emby-server; this is where all your emby config/database is kept. make sure to stop the emby plugin before applying the update.

Marcet

Contributor
the button is the only way for the plugin.
Ok, understood.
I believe the built in updater is only available on windows (where you really need it because there's no package manager).
Nope, you have it from the web interface. I'll check if I can disable it.
make sure your media is on a dataset mounted into your jail, so even if your jail gets messed up your media is fine.
That's the case. And the mount points are defined under Storage for the Jail.
setup snapshots for your media and if you want your jail.
I think snapshot can be useful for the jail to rollback the update if things go wrong.
before an update, you can backup /var/db/emby-server; this is where all your emby config/database is kept.
Thanks for the path.
What method would you use for that ? Rsync ? Do I have to stop the plugin before ? If yes, how can I do that ? With a script ?
make sure to stop the emby plugin before applying the update.
Sure.

Thanks a lot for your answers (y)

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I know the update shows from the web-interface, but I don't think it actually does anything on linux/freebsd?

I'd personally just copy it off, but in reality I don't actually do this and just cross my fingers during an update. I use linux as my desktop so SFTP is convenient for me.
stopping the plugin could be a good idea, you can use the Plugins > Installed tab, or 'service emby-server stop'

welcome!

Marcet

Contributor
I know the update shows from the web-interface, but I don't think it actually does anything on linux/freebsd?
I will not try anyway. I'll check on Emby forum for a method to disable it.
I'd personally just copy it off, but in reality I don't actually do this and just cross my fingers during an update.
Not a very safe method, I'd rather plan some backup ;)

As for the backup, I'm looking for the best way to do that automatically.
My guess is a cron job.

Status
Not open for further replies.